Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to make a DSLR quieter

BrendanC

Hi all,

I have a Canon EOS1000D outside right now merrily taking shots of M64, the Black Eye Galaxy. Happy days (and nights).

Did I say merrily? I meant loudly!

I've put a couple of fairly substantial hats on it and that's made a difference, but I can still hear the shutter and mirror going from the other end of the garden.

Now, this doesn't bother me, but I am a little worried about it bothering the neighbours, especially as the nights get (hopefully) warmer in the UK and they might have bedroom windows open, and all they can hear against the still night air is click... click... click...

I've looked online and there are things called blimps and muzzles which seem to cost quite a lot. There are also DIY links that look fairly drastic with dremmels and the like, and also cost more than I would expect.

So does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Would something like this have any effect, with a hole cut in the side so I can attach it to the scope? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Case-Canon-1000D-550D/dp/B001C3Q07G

Or should I just stick with the hats?

Cheers, Brendan

Edited by BrendanC

From APT manual 

Here are the requirements for making mirror lock with the different models:

Processor
Mirror Lock C.Fn.
Mirror Lock needs shutter cable
Digic 2
Manual
Yes
Digic 3
Automatic
Yes or simulation
Digic 4 and later
Automatic
No

If the camera has Digic 3 processor and  “Long exposure control” to “Virtual”, APT will simulate Mirror Lock using LiveView. Note that simulated “Mirror lockup” leads to amp glow when is used in long exposures!

The Digic 2 and Digic 3 cameras need an additional PC operated shutter cable in order to make mirror lockup. Some options for such cable are listed in the section EOS Shutter Cables.

For Digic 2 cameras you have to enable/disable manually the "Mirror Lock C.Fn." function from the camera menu. Enable it with Anti-Vibration Pause is greater than 0s. Disable it when Anti-Vibration Pause is 0s.

Note that in order to manage automatically the "Mirror Lock C.Fn." function from the camera menu, you have to enable the option "Mirror Lock Automation" from Main Settings tab.

• Like 1

Silly question, but why do you think your camera is any louder than any other camera ?  have you measured it ?

I ask, as what we perceive as loud, is often due to our being attuned to the noise, and making it subjectively louder in the process..... 

and yes, if you used BackyardEOS, it can mirror lock the camera.

• Like 1

I agree that mirror slap can be quite noisy and using mirror lock up doesn't help because the mirror still has to move with each exposure unless you are running in full live view mode. I would check out the thin strip of foam at the top of the camera sensor box to see if its damaged (it probably will be as it gets hammered) and replace if necessary. My camera has several silent shooting modes but even then the noise is still noticeable.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

My 600D was a lot noisier than my current 6D. Still, it doesnt appear to affect any images with my setup due to vibrations. I wonder if there is a way to physically keep the mirror in the up position. I know some XL clip filters for full frame require the mirror permanently up but not sure if it's the actual filter that keeps it in this position.

• Like 1

Though I live far enough away from my neighbors that my camera clicking wont bother them, if it did, I might cover the sound up with some soothing music.

Perhaps Pink Floyd's time playing over and over again. Maybe AC DC' s Hell's Bells.😉

• Haha 2

Theres a video for installing an Astronomik XL clip filter for full frame Canon. It looks like the filter itself holds the mirror in place afterwards. I wonder if the same principle would apply to all DSLR bodies if you were to use a small rectangular frame positioned under the mirror like an accurately 3D printed part?

https://youtu.be/7As7VkK5rtg

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't actually think my camera is louder than any other! I just think it could be a bit quieter, and I don't want to upset the neighbours.

I'd rather not spend more time and money investing in Backyard EOS, which I did trial but much preferred APT, and have since invested a lot of time in learning it.

I don't think it's affecting the images, no discernible shake.

I guess I could look at the foam near the sensor but I'm reluctant to start fiddling with it.

I might just buy that case and see whether it does have any effect.

If that doesn't work then it's either continue with the hats, or try Pink Floyd, but I think Dark Side of the Moon would be more appropriate. :)

On 29/05/2020 at 00:15, BrendanC said:

Hi all,

I have a Canon EOS1000D outside right now merrily taking shots of M64, the Black Eye Galaxy. Happy days (and nights).

Did I say merrily? I meant loudly!

I've put a couple of fairly substantial hats on it and that's made a difference, but I can still hear the shutter and mirror going from the other end of the garden.

Now, this doesn't bother me, but I am a little worried about it bothering the neighbours, especially as the nights get (hopefully) warmer in the UK and they might have bedroom windows open, and all they can hear against the still night air is click... click... click...

I've looked online and there are things called blimps and muzzles which seem to cost quite a lot. There are also DIY links that look fairly drastic with dremmels and the like, and also cost more than I would expect.

So does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Would something like this have any effect, with a hole cut in the side so I can attach it to the scope? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Case-Canon-1000D-550D/dp/B001C3Q07G

Or should I just stick with the hats?

Cheers, Brendan

I would not worry I did it for years with a DSLR and not a single complaint. I would doubt that the sound would get through double glazing.

Not double glazing, I agree. But I am concerned about during the summer months when people have their windows open.

I know we don't get much astronomical darkness at this time of year, but I'm still plugging away during what time I can get. So, given that my garden backs onto about five other households, I'm just aware that the clicking might annoy people. This is especially the case when the sound reflects off walls and the patio etc. I can hear it from my house with the window open so I'm sure they can too.

I'm just trying to be a good neighbour!