NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first solar prominence time lapse

NiCo10

Hi All,

My first solar prominence timelapse. Quite possibly the most long winded and difficult thing I've done in ages, manually tracking, focusing, recording all at the same time. It'll get better next time as I've learnt a lot of lessons, that includes me buying a Sky-Watcher SolarQuest mount and how to use software I've never used before. 18Gb of data from 35 videos of 10 seconds/500 frames. using a Coronado PST and ASI120MC.

First solar prominence time lapse.gif

• Like 12

43 minutes ago, NiCo10 said:

me buying a Sky-Watcher SolarQuest mount

I have been trying solar time lapses recently, and agree that it’s pretty labour intensive!  Good start so far.

I had considered a solar quest mount but I was concerned about rotation over long time lapses as it’s an Alt-Az mount. 

• Like 1

Manual, using the slow motion controls is a real pain, its no way to keep on doing that. I've looked at reviews for the skyquest and pretty much made my mind up, should keep it in view for a fair few hours. Yes rotation could be an issue but only for full disc images I guess?

3 minutes ago, NiCo10 said:

Manual, using the slow motion controls is a real pain, its no way to keep on doing that. I've looked at reviews for the skyquest and pretty much made my mind up, should keep it in view for a fair few hours. Yes rotation could be an issue but only for full disc images I guess?

I don’t know, but wouldn’t the limb rotate too if imaging a prom? 

19 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I use a SolarQuest mount, if doing a time lapse imppg aligns the images before animating.

Dave

Could you post a start and end image Dave, say with a three hour gap?  I’m considering one but this put me off. 

4 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Autostakkert 3 does have a de-rotation option though I haven't tried it and it's still experimental. It's under Main Menu 'Advanced / Experimental Features & Parameter tuning'.

Alan

Would there be significant cropping? 

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Could you post a start and end image Dave, say with a three hour gap?  I’m considering one but this put me off. 

Will have a search for one in my haphazard filing system 😁

Dave

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Would there be significant cropping? 

If not imaging the full disc, as long as the feature being imaged stays in the frame throughout the recording it would be OK, though the edges of the frame would get cropped to some degree depending on the duration of the recording and the Alt / Az of the target, as the degree of rotation varies greatly depending on where the target is in the sky.

Alan

15 minutes ago, symmetal said:

If not imaging the full disc, as long as the feature being imaged stays in the frame throughout the recording it would be OK, though the edges of the frame would get cropped to some degree depending on the duration of the recording and the Alt / Az of the target, as the degree of rotation varies greatly depending on where the target is in the sky.

Alan

Yes indeed!  If only there was solar autoguider that didnt cost £500+ for an EQ mount.

Would it be possible to mount a solarquest tracker on a wedge?

29 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Yes indeed!  If only there was solar autoguider that didnt cost £500+ for an EQ mount.

Mesu should be able to track the Sun without guiding.

Dave

Guys,

I use a Polar aligned HEQ5pro mount for all my solar imaging.

With a ROI (to suit the size of the proms) on the ASI 1600MM on an SM60DS/ ED80/ x2.5 PM and tracking set to solar (or sidereal...) I can maintain the target in the frame for as long as you want.....

For animations I've tried 400 frames every five minutes for as long as cloud permits.

After AS3!, ImPPG works well to combine the frames, PIPP to generate a GIF animation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Altocumulus said:

Nice!

I assume your interest in a Solarquest is purely because you have no other mount that is/can be motorised?

I use an NEQ6, Ciel gets me to the Sun and, by syncing, I stay on the Sun.

Long gone are my days of staying up late (due to sleep condition) so mainly solar astronomy for me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Mesu should be able to track the Sun without guiding.

Dave

It does a good job, but at 1200mm on a small size chip, the prom drifts a bit and requires periodic nudging.