Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop

Hi all

With Adobe Photoshop there's a number of different packages and I'm wondering which covers enough for astrophotography.

The one package is the 'photography 20GB' with Lightroom, Lightroom classic and Photoshop.

£9.98/month.

Is this the pack most use?

Thanks

Edited by Portech7
Typo

No idea about Photoshop, its the monthly subs that just keep adding to the cost that puts me off.

I'm having a serious look at Pixinsight, tailored for astrophotography and just a one off payment (though its not cheap).

6 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

No idea about Photoshop, its the monthly subs that just keep adding to the cost that puts me off.

I'm having a serious look at Pixinsight, tailored for astrophotography and just a one off payment (though its not cheap).

I'm inclined to agree.  I was fortunate enough to be able to get CS6 on a student licence just before Adobe went for the subscription model.  These days I'm really not sure I'd even bother.  The cost racks up far too quickly.

James

I'm on the £9.98 subscription but just started using Astro Pixel Processor to stack by images and it also has decent processing tools so I might ditch PS and use Gimp for finishing off. Will purchase Pixinsight one day. 

The £9.98 subscription is the one I use and it has everything in it that you are likely to use for astrophotography. I also use it professionally so the ongoing monthly money cost is not an issue for me although it can be for a lot of people.

Pixinsight will suit some people and not others. I'm one of the latter. I use both but find that PI is very hard work and I do must of my processing in Photoshop. I have CS3 on a legitimate disk, thank goodness, but would I give Adobe £120 a year for Ps? I possibly would but it would make me spit to do so and I'd be looking at other layers based programs as well. 

At one time Pixinsight tried to move to subscription but gave up. Was this on legal grounds, having started off with promises of free updates?

The package the OP mentions looks like the right one.

Olly

• Like 2

On 28/04/2020 at 06:46, Radders said:

ditch PS and use Gimp for finishing off.

I still have an old version of PS I own, but use Gimp most of the time now. I wouldn't buy the latest version of PS as Gimp does everything I need and much more. Photoshop has a massive feature list but it is worth looking to see which ones you will actually use if you are just doing astrophotography.

I've posted on here before suggesting people at least try Gimp as has a massive feature set, is open source, competently free, and cross platform - I still stand by this advice.

• Like 1