NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

To Cold....

mikeyggg

Just been outside, but had to come in after 2 hours. Been waiting to try out my Baader Zoom eyepiece since I bought it, and was very impressed with it, but was very frustrated with the fact that I couldn't get my telescope to stay in position at or near zenith. It would move after I postitioned it just a fraction of an inch, but making it impossible for me to find anything.I think I need to practice more with the tension on the clutch system, but never get a chance cos of no clear nights.Frustrating!!Anyhow, had to come in after 2 hours cos very cold.Now I feel guilty that I'm not out there, after so much couldy weather.Right, going to sit in front of fire now.

I know what you mean.

I've taken a load of moon AVI's and then moved the scope into the back ready for Galaxies later, and it was bitter.

I was glad to come in and do some processing.

Once you've warmed up maybe you could go back out?

Ant

Mikey, the answer to your problem is a McMurdo Parka from CCC. Was recommended to me by MikeP and went to the top of the Christmas pressie list. It is absolutely toasty down to minus whatever with just a shirt and jumper underneath. Not much use with all the cloud I've got here though dammit

Mikey, the answer to your problem is a McMurdo Parka from CCC. Was recommended to me by MikeP and went to the top of the Christmas pressie list. It is absolutely toasty down to minus whatever with just a shirt and jumper underneath. Not much use with all the cloud I've got here though dammit

I've seen this up close they look really nice.

I have a RAB jacket.

Apparently tested in antartic down to -30.

Anyway it's warm with just a t shirt on underneath.

I made a class purchase today.

The main problem i found was cold striking through from the ground (regardless of thick socks).

I was taking a browse round B&Q and found some interlocking mats (£12 for a set of 4), tried them this evening and the difference is amazing, helps to keep my mind off my cold feet and concentrate on scope work.

Still looking for the perfect shop that sells cloudless skies though!!!!!!!!!! :)

That Parka looks good actually.My other half has been on at me to buy a "proper winter coat" so this may be just the opportunity!Plus, I'm going to be working in Norway and Sweden next month, so may come in double handy!I'd forgotten how difficult it is to operate in the cold..Guess that comes with practice and patience too

Stop me if you've already heard this but the Noweigans have a saying 'there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing'.

Having done a few Skiing trips to the States, I'm fairly fortunate in having half decent cold weather gear (when the clouds roll in at 13-odd thousand feet above sea level, you'd better be wrapped up!), but it didn't stop L'Missus buying me one of these: http://www2.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=EU&model=AL4P&language=en :) . Unfortunately it doesn't combat fog which is why I'm sitting here rather than outside. Grr...

Tony..

That Parka looks good actually.My other half has been on at me to buy a "proper winter coat" so this may be just the opportunity!Plus, I'm going to be working in Norway and Sweden next month, so may come in double handy!I'd forgotten how difficult it is to operate in the cold..Guess that comes with practice and patience too

You could set it against tax in that case!

Ha ha....<P>I like the idea of the balaclava.....If I were to go out the front of the house to view Orion, I'd be pointing my Dob, which bears more than a passing resemblance to a rocket launcher, right into the flight path of aircraft going in and out of Luton airport. <p>I wonder if I could get a filter that blocks the sort of UV flashing blue light coming from police vans...!

Archived