NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AR2760 - New Sunspot

9 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Based on a Facebook post from a local astro group, I got a look at this new sunspot yesterday afternoon. Just a single small spot then. It now has an official designation of AR2760. Should be clear for another look today. 

Thanks Neil. Will have a look!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Neil. Will have a look!

Seeing is atrocious, but it is still very clear. Two pairs of spots, nice to see something again! Hopefully the seeing will improve this evening. Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Amazing how things vary depending on where you are! My seeing is horrid!

It’s proving variable here. Had a really good first 5 mins where I could see loads of detail. Since then it’s been a bit more hit and miss.

Went back for another look. It seems to be developing quite rapidly. A couple more small darker spots are forming. Not sure if these would be called spots or pores? Not sure on the distinction between a small spot and a pore? 

• Like 1

Just been having a look with my Tak 100 and the Lunt HW. Seems to be 7 or so small spots broadly in two groups but associated with each other. Set in an area  of complex faculae - like a mass of pale spaghetti vaguely centered around the two groups of spots.

Seeing is variable here. Some nice, sharp, moments at 125x but then things go hazy and I need to back off the magnification to regain a sharp view. So nice to have a zoom eyepiece for this - you can instantly react as the seeing varies.

Worth keeping an eye on and worth setting the scope up for :thumbright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John said:

Worth keeping an eye on and worth setting the scope up for

Done and keeping an eye on it, seeing not great, Sun looks like a jelly on a trampoline ATM 😁

Dave

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, John said:

Seeing is variable here. Some nice, sharp, moments at 125x but then things go hazy and I need to back off the magnification to regain a sharp view. So nice to have a zoom eyepiece for this - you can instantly react as the seeing varies.

Very true, John. I’ve been using the Nagler Zoom. Normally sticking to 100x - 125x. Every now and then I get a good spell of seeing and have some really stunning views at 167x. In those moments I’m left wanting the 2-4mm Nagler zoom that you have for the extra mag! Might have to get the Baader VIP Barlow out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Good seeing today. Granulation looking as good as I’ve seen it. The spot has developed since yesterday. One larger spot with a smaller spot next to it and then another pair of smaller spots nearby. Well worth a look!

Didn't see anything when I looked yesterday, now overcast and looking like rain.

John 

Light cloud here but had another look and saw the 7 spots John mentioned in a couple of brief moments of clarity. Seeing is generally abysmal but there is the odd moment now and then when the views are nicer.

The more northernmost spot group seems to have subtly changed it's form over the past hour. A couple of the smaller spots seem less distinct now than they were - paler ?

The spots have been changing in intensity all day. Lots of cloud here but when they break the seeing is very good. AR is also showing in Ha. Plage  and a filament present.

Edited by laudropb