NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AR2760 - New Sunspot

1 hour ago, John said:

The more northernmost spot group seems to have subtly changed it's form over the past hour. A couple of the smaller spots seem less distinct now than they were - paler ?

Yes, to me they have separated out into distinct spots more, and one has possibly split in two?

Could only see the larger one below though, the three other tiny ones have either gone or the seeing isn’t good enough to get them any more.

• Like 2

Apparently this was a late Cycle 24 active region. Its polarity is different to the few early Cycle 25 features we’ve had over the past few months. Would be a nice farewell gesture if it were the last - but think we’ve got a bit more waiting until the new cycle kicks in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Apparently this was a late Cycle 24 active region. Its polarity is different to the few early Cycle 25 features we’ve had over the past few months. Would be a nice farewell gesture if it were the last - but think we’ve got a bit more waiting until the new cycle kicks in

Apparently there were a few cyc 25 spots already...the two cycles are now producing intermittent spots, sort of overlapping, if I understand correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Interesting, I didn’t know that cycles could overlap.

Had a better view later on this afternoon. Still pretty wobbly seeing but at least some granulation showing and more sharpness to the spots. Hopefully I will get a better day this week at some point before it disappears.

• Like 1

I had a lovely afternoon viewing this sunspot in H-alpha and White Light.

I've been watching this area in H-a for a couple of days now but this is the first detail I've seen visible in WL so far.

I struggled with resolution on the little ZS66 so swapped it out for my ST102 and used the binoviewers.

Although I found the seeing extremely variable like everyone else, in the moments of good seeing I got some cracking views.

Thanks for the heads up @Littleguy80.

• Like 2

Had a great view past Sunday both in WL with binos (first try, did not disappoint despite unsuitable EPs, at around 85x) and in Ha - emerging flux region looked really nice, next day it was already gone. Those black spiders looked just like they are supposed to look like. :)