Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Long telescope hits tripod leg

Hi guys I have the Orion Optics 200/1200 on the HEQ5 mount , everything is fine till i want to look overhead the telescope hits the tripod leg and then puts the go-to out of alignment , I can find a column extension but it's 16 inches way to tall I just need to get telescope about 2 inches higher in the dove tail mount or raise the HEQ5 off the tripod top 

I know the easy answer is don't look overhead but sometimes when going to a target it does the EQ flip and only just misses the leg of the mount

I cant move the telescope up in the mount using the dove tail as this puts telescope out of balance 

I have looked for a second-hand column extension so I can get it cut down but no luck so far 

Edited by Neil H

Hi Neil, think you've asked this before in another thread?

Only suggestion I can make if you can't get hold of an extension to raise the mount would be to add weight to the back end of the scope so that you can then move it forward in the rings to balance. You may need to also move the counterweight outward or add to that to get a good balance. How you'd do that I guess would depend on what you have available or can source to make something to suit.

you could try a weight on the rear OTA tube ring if it has a camera mounting screw on it at least there's something to attach to. Or perhaps a longer dovetail so you can add a weight under the OTA, saves drilling the OTA to fit a bar just to secure weights. Alternatively, maybe some lead flashing cut and wrapped around the lower end of the tube (if you can get the non-sticky stuff, preferably), protecting the OTA paintwork if you can of course.

Edited by DaveL59

A bit late to this one, but I have a suggestion that could help.

Whilst I’m not familiar with your mount I’ve modified lots of others.  If you already have, or could obtain a short length of thick walled aluminium tube you could easily make your own extension whatever length you wish to fit between the EQ head and tripod.  You may need a longer bolt to secure the EQ head from below, but it will almost certainly be a standard easily obtainable metric thread.

My local metal dealer is locked down just now but he’s always helpful with offcuts. Maybe you have somewhere like that locally that will hopefully be open for business before too long.  Of course it’s possible online resources may help.

Ed.

as a test lash-up, how about a small plastic drinks bottle secured with a ratchet strap low on the OTA?

You can then try differing amounts of water to fine-tune the weight you need before going out to get one

11 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Hi Neil, hopefully you mean on the OTA rather than in? Wouldn't be good for one to drop onto the mirror if it got a bump...

Hi a while back I had to move mirror forward to get it to focus so I have a gap at the back of the OTA were the fan is , I don't think I need a lot of weight so just to try it ,I have some golf club balance weights coming they are sticky backed oval in shape if I use all I will have 24grams extra weight I could always add some car wheel balance weights as well , I will let you know how I get on 

if you can't get hold of an extension to raise the mount would be to add weight to the back end of the scope so that you can then move it forward in the rings to balance.

Such an excellent idea, I have this problem too with my ED120.  Need to give it some thought on how to add extra weight.  I tried looking at Mount extensions, but the only ones I could find were far too long. 

Carole 

48 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi Carole I went for the golf weights as they are oval not square, look on eBay the golf ones are pricy compared to the square car wheel balance weights but the car ones are so cheap even for a box 

Of course, because the golf ones are surely "high precision". 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Such an excellent idea, I have this problem too with my ED120.  Need to give it some thought on how to add extra weight.  I tried looking at Mount extensions, but the only ones I could find were far too long. 

Carole 

this may provide a few ideas Carole

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/637235-moveable-weights-on-telescope-tubes/

I've seen weights advertised for vixen dovetails, tho they are quite expensive but I guess that's paid back in terms of improved capability of the kit.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I have made a note of those, but in the first instance I have decided to get myself a dual Finderscope bracket, so I can have my finder guider in one and a normal finderscope in the other.  I had been thinking about getting one for some time as sometimes my Alignment star GOTOs are not in the FOV (cone error) and it would be easier to have a visual finderscope as well.

If a second finderscope and bracket is not enough weight or it affects the guiding I will look into those other ideas.

Carole 

Hi everyone ok here's the update golf club weights didn't make any impact , the car wheel balance weights work really well I have raised the telescope an inch and added a Telrad and balance is perfect I had to use 3 strips of , I had more I could have raised the telescope 2 inches but 1 inch will help it may even stop the telescope from hitting the leg 

All the weights are stuck on the back of the mirror mount in layers so can't be seen ,just waiting to give it a test run if the sky is clear later 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi everyone ok here's the update golf club weights didn't make any impact , the car wheel balance weights work really well I have raised the telescope an inch and added a Telrad and balance is perfect I had to use 3 strips of , I had more I could have raised the telescope 2 inches but 1 inch will help it may even stop the telescope from hitting the leg 

All the weights are stuck on the back of the mirror mount in layers so can't be seen ,just waiting to give it a test run if the sky is clear later 

Great idea. Hope it works 👍🏼

• Like 1

Best solution I can envisage is, and especially If you are mostly using your scope at home,
is build yourself a solid pier to mount your scope on.
Remove the scope after use and take it indoors, but the mount If accurately polar aligned,
can remain on the pier, so polar alignment is not disturbed.

A pier is not difficult to put in place if you have the room in your yard or garden.
A lot will depend upon your situation, ie, do you have the space, your views from your garden, obstruction
may make it difficult to work from home.

Great Care must be applied if you use a mains supply run  to any DC Adaptor power mount. Seek professional advice on that issue.

Plenty of help on the forum here if you need suggestions on going about siting a pier.
It does not mean spending a load of cash either.
Ron.

• Like 1

Great idea Ron but once this lock down is over the telescope will be going up the caravan which is on a fishing lake a nice dark site  , but that also means setting up in a field just for the summer then back home in the winter 

7 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Great idea Ron but once this lock down is over the telescope will be going up the caravan which is on a fishing lake a nice dark site  , but that also means setting up in a field just for the summer then back home in the winter 

Well, the good thing is, you have at least found a solution to the problem to permit full use of your instrument.  My first Newtonian was a 8" f6, and I got so much enjoyment out of it.                                                 Best Wishes

Ron.

My biggest problem is my wife is short and I am tall so if I raise the telescope to much she can't use it , so I am going for the option of not looking at targets over head so the leg problem won't come up , I still needed to balance it with Telrad on as well as spotter scope which the wheel balance weights worked 100% and also let me side telescope up in the dove tail by an inch