SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any recommendation on phone apps?

Hi @Cuto100200 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Below is a list what I have and use on my Apple iPhone and Android phone & tablet in alphabetical order.
note: some are 'free' apps - others are 'paid' apps.

Apple iOS...

• Constellation ...puzzle/game to help you recognise the 88 IAU constellations.
  • Clear Outside
  • Eclipse Safari
  • DSMIYL 2015 ...iOS version of a sky quality meter.
  • Jupiter Moons
  • ISS Spotter
  • Moon Globe
  • Pluto Safari
  • Satellite Safari
  • Saturn Moons
  • Sky Safari
  • Sky Week + ...weekly guide to what to expect - temporary unavailable at present time.
  • Star Charts ...Will Tirion's 'Cambridge Star Atlas' in your pocket. 
  • TriAtlas ...Jose Ramon Torres's star atlas in your pocket.

Android OS

• Constellation ...puzzle/game to help you recognise the 88 I.A.U. constellations.
  • Clear Outside
  • Heavens Above
  • Mars Sky ...displays the sun, solar system planets, (includes Pluto), and Phobos & Deimos from a few sites on Mars.
  • Moon Atlas 3D
  • Planets ...displays the solar system planets and the Moon and do a virtual flyby. Does not include Pluto as it was released before the 'New Horizons' mission - also displays the night sky in the 'visible' & 'invisible' electromagnetic spectrum.
  • Planet Droid
  • SkEye
  • Sky Safari
  • Sky Week + ...weekly guide to what to expect - temporary unavailable at present time.
  • Sky Wheel ...displays the sun, solar system planets, (includes Pluto), from almost anywhere on Earth.
Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use SkySafari Pro and Luminos. The reason for two is Luminos lets me control my AP 1100 mount from my phone or tablet. Luminos also has more features that SS but for quick and dirty work including using my Nexus DSC SS works very well.

• Like 1

I like the stellarium mobile app, but was a little disappointed that the paid version doesn't give you FOV prediction like the PC one does, and it has less objects it seems. 

I also use Clear Outside, Star Walk 2, and NightShift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeps said:

I like the stellarium mobile app, but was a little disappointed that the paid version doesn't give you FOV prediction like the PC one does, and it has less objects it seems.

That is because "Stellarium Mobile Sky Map" is not Stellarium, nor made by the same people who make the computer Stellarium. 

I use Sky Safari Plus.

1 hour ago, Leigh J K said:

I use star walk which seems to do the job for me . 
which of the sky safaris would you recommend ?!

there  is one for £39 😳

I got along with Sky Safari free for nearly a year until telescope control was required, then Sky Safari Pro was bought on sale for £16...

• Like 1

On 25/04/2020 at 12:12, Ricochet said:

That is because "Stellarium Mobile Sky Map" is not Stellarium, nor made by the same people who make the computer Stellarium. 

I use Sky Safari Plus.

It's advertised on the stellarium site, so it's "official" in that respect. It also states "Stellarium Mobile Plus - Star Map is made by the original creator of Stellarium, the well known open source planetarium and one of the best astronomy applications on Desktop PC." in the description. Link 

On 25/04/2020 at 15:07, Leigh J K said:

There is a comparison chart on the SkySafari website (click on comparison charts). They differ mostly in database size (number of objects) and some extra features. Plus seems to be sufficient for most amateur observers, I use Pro myself. It's on sale from time to time.

On 25/04/2020 at 14:07, Leigh J K said:

I use star walk which seems to do the job for me . 

there  is one for £39 😳

Hi @Leigh J K and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I just have the 'basic' version on my devices. The more you pay; other databases and features are included.

If you have an Apple iPhone or tablet, it includes an augmented reality (AR) feature; which is [still] not yet available on/for Android devices.