NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cable management

smr

I have removed it (after months of being in place) to reposition somewhere else and it didn't leave any marks nor peel paint.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

ok thanks. I'm thinking I might just ditch my astrozap dew heater and buy a usb one if I'm going to buy the usb hub, means one less cable going into the dri-box.

7 minutes ago, smr said:

ok thanks. I'm thinking I might just ditch my astrozap dew heater and buy a usb one if I'm going to buy the usb hub, means one less cable going into the dri-box.

Think they need 12 volts.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Think they need 12 volts.

Dave

I meant ditch the astrozap dew heater band which is going into my 2 port hitec astro dew controller inside the dew box, and just use a usb powered dew band instead.

• Like 1

Consider affixing your hub to the scope, rather than to the mount, and right over the DEC drive if possible. That way you only have one cable in motion during guiding, and its lever arm is minimized. (Two cables if it's a powered hub, of course). I know that the DEC axis isn't slewing continually like the RA is, but you'll get guiding corrections to it and every little bit helps. If you tie all the cables together it's probably pretty similar mechanically, but IMO you may as well go for the optimal cable-drag solution.

21 hours ago, johninderby said:

One thing I find really usefull in managing cables is a roll of velcro cable tie instead of pre-made cable ties. You can make up any length of tie needed.👍🏻

5401BEBD-F3D6-422D-8450-D54C9B0979BB.jpeg

Looks useful ! I'm going to try this, thanks.

Just a thought - how long is the mains lead from the startech 7 port hub? Wondering if it will reach from the side of the mount where I'll be placing the hub, to my dri-box below the mount.

3 minutes ago, smr said:

Just a thought - how long is the mains lead from the startech 7 port hub? Wondering if it will reach from the side of the mount where I'll be placing the hub, to my dri-box below the mount.

Mines 1200mm long.

Dave

• Thanks 1