Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need some visual targets for tonight

blinky

I have a friends son coming over tonight to have a look through the scope. As I am now mostly into imaging I am not sure what would be best to show him, other than the obvious M42! Although I have my nice ED80 I am thinking it would be best to use the Newt for the observing due to it's better light gathering abilities!

So far I have:

M42

M45

M36/37/38

M81/M82 in a low power eyepiece are always a nice sight. The contrasting shape galaxies should be a crowd pleaser.

If you catch it early enough in the evening, there is Albireo. Fantastic double with beautiful contrasting colours.

Or Mizar, the double double in Ursa Major.

Thanks for the targets folks, unfortunatly they have just cancelled. His Mum thinks he's now 'not that interested' in space. Likely due to the el cheapo 'scope they bought him before :p

Sorry to have troubled everyoe :oops: But I might just do some visual tonight now :)

Tryhttp://tonightssky.com/MainPage.phpthis lets you input your location then gives you an observation plan based on your requirements, like min magnitude, difficulty etc, have a look, I find it the most useful online resource for planning an evenings observing. you can generate a plan, then print it off, you even have control of the order of viewing ie R.A rise time :)

Archived