NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

10" Cannon At The Ready....

The fracs and cat have had good airings lately, so I though I'd have a change.  Had a preliminary look at the Moon (high east, light sky) with the 20/100 Myriad.

Sky promises to stay quite clear, so I am keenly waiting for darkness.

Clear skies all.  And stay safe!

Doug.

P1080103.JPG

P1080104.JPG

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Craney said:

WMD - Weapon of Minimal Diffraction.....

Looks like you are getting ready to launch  a first strike on Venus..

That's the idea - hope to catch Venus among the Seven Sisters later.  Meanwhile, not as favourable as I'd hoped, but the Moon is looking good in the Dob for brief periods!

John @johninderby - Yes, uncanny.  Great minds and all that!  

Doug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a  much higher spec scope than the Skywatcher. Great 2.5” R&P focuser, 9 point mirror cell, proper bearings, tube rings make it easy to balance OTA or mount on an EQ mount, anti reflective coating inside etc. etc. 

In the US it’s sold under the Explore Scientific brand.

https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/dobsonians/products/firstlight-10-dobsonian

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

Just a  much higher spec scope than the Skywatcher. Great 2.5” R&P focuser, 9 point mirror cell, proper bearings, tube rings make it easy to balance OTA or mount on an EQ mount, anti reflective coating inside etc. etc. 

In the US it’s sold under the Explore Scientific brand.

https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/dobsonians/products/firstlight-10-dobsonian

Looks like the tube can be rotated to place the focuser on the other side, as well. If so, that is a nice feature.

• Like 1

All good points - also: the hex focuser is smooth and steady; the big alt bearings keep it stable with a range of EP weights; and despite being a solid tube (no shroud!), it is manageable.

Quality kit, a delight to use, highly recommended!

Doug.

• Like 1

The big alt bearings make great carry handles. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It’s not that the Skywatcher solid tubes are poor quality as they aren’t it’s just that the Bresser is a better quality product in every way both in build quality and features. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

I wonder if those who have had the chance to get their hands on a Breeser dob would be so enthusiastic about the Skywatcher dobs? Well worth the extra to me. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I don’t think anyone disputes that they are worth the extra John, however some people have a budget and have to stick to it. I would much rather see them enjoying a 200P without over stretching themselves than thinking they HAVE to have a Bresser in order to enjoy the hobby. The Bresser 8” is 35% more than a 200P, so is in a different price bracket. Can we please just present options to new members without pushing particular options, people are able to decide themselves based on their own circumstances. Thank you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

The fracs and cat have had good airings lately, so I though I'd have a change.  Had a preliminary look at the Moon (high east, light sky) with the 20/100 Myriad.

Sky promises to stay quite clear, so I am keenly waiting for darkness.

Clear skies all.  And stay safe!

Doug.

P1080103.JPG

P1080104.JPG

I love your little dob table Doug :) that solves one of the issues with a dob when viewing lower down in the sky, the eyepiece gets lower and it is hard to see over fences! Great idea.

A question, what is the contraption covering the finder? Dew protection or a place to put your drinks bottle? 🤣🤣

Hope you had a good session.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Yes it’s up to the purchaser to set their own budget but they should be made aware of why one brand may be better than another then make an informed choice. 

Then let’s not forget the reason the 200P is one of the most popular scopes there is, because of the performance at a price point.

Back to Doug’s thread.

@Stu - said:

I love your little dob table Doug :) that solves one of the issues with a dob when viewing lower down in the sky, the eyepiece gets lower and it is hard to see over fences.  A question, what is the contraption covering the finder? Dew protection or a place to put your drinks bottle? 🤣🤣

Hope you had a good session.

>>> Yes Stu, the table/platform is a huge advantage, wouldn't be without it.  Another of my designs based on scrap timber and old flatpack furniture panels!  

I don't like straight through finders (tried a couple on different 'scopes), so I got a bracket to put on a RACI, and coupled it with the Rigel.  The stuff at the objective end of the RACI is a camping-mat dewshield, and Yes, a bottle holder.  (Well, the bottom of a pop bottle anyway!  Makes a good dust cover.  On that theme, some EPs take a Morrison's fruit juice cap nicely for that purpose!)

Session? - OK, mustn't grumble as they say!  Nice but brief Moon views, and a quick glimpse of Venus.

Doug.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I don’t think anyone disputes that they are worth the extra John, however some people have a budget and have to stick to it. I would much rather see them enjoying a 200P without over stretching themselves than thinking they HAVE to have a Bresser in order to enjoy the hobby. The Bresser 8” is 35% more than a 200P, so is in a different price bracket. Can we please just present options to new members without pushing particular options, people are able to decide themselves based on their own circumstances. Thank you.

Sorry Stu, I disagree as well.  The Skywatchers are certainly very good value for money.  However, amongst other advantages, the Bressers are easier to transport.  For me this would mean I would rather have the Bresser.

I'd also point out that this thread is about  a Bresser.  There are a lot fewer of these threads than ones on Skywatchers.

• Thanks 1

What a fantastic looking scope.  I’m not a visual astronomer at all but it looks stunning. But I do keep thinking about one of the few times I used my (now sold) 12” dob and saw M57 through it. Maybe I should try visual again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

What a fantastic looking scope.  I’m not a visual astronomer at all but it looks stunning. But I do keep thinking about one of the few times I used my (now sold) 12” dob and saw M57 through it. Maybe I should try visual again.

Yes come over to the dark side. 😁😁😁

Or should that be the light side? 🤔

13 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

I'd also point out that this thread is about  a Bresser.  There are a lot fewer of these threads than ones on Skywatchers.

Someone made it about Skywatcher which was unnecessary.

• Like 1

Seem to me has been a balanced disccussion of the pros and cons of both brands and no one one is disputing the Skywatchers are value for money. 

So please lets try to get along together. No need for any acrimony. 🙏🏼

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1