Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope for a beginner

Hello. If you want a good first "proper" scope. Then I would keep it simple but effective and go for something 200 mm reflector maybe on a Dob mount, something like a SW 200 dob. This has no bells and whistles elec gadgets on it, but a great first scope for planetary, DSO , Luna. Probably the best bang for buck scope available

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL.

It's great to hear that you and your daughter will be starting this journey and experiencing the 'WOW!' moments together.

In order for people to give a more informed suggestion as to a 'scope, could I suggest you let the forum know what sort of budget you had in mind and what your intended targets are? Are you interested in the Moon and planets, or deep sky objects like nebulae and galaxies, or both?

1 hour ago, Gary1975 said:

Hi all

My daughter (9)  and I are interested in starting astrology. Can anyone recommend a good beginner scope. I’ve been looking at the ones that can connect with phone/tablet.

thanks

Gary

Hi and welcome, 

Basic advice, think about what you wish to look at, where you are going to use the scope e.g. garden, travel to a darker site etc. Occasional viewing for short periods? 

Dobsonian reflectors are best bang for buck, but you need to collimate (align mirrors) includes the mount though

Goto's push the cost up and although I have one too, I found pushing a dob around the sky and learning to star hop as part of the fun

My 200 Dob has been awesome, but it's not the lightest, my 100P is a great first scope and still use it but in hindsight would have gone for a 130mm

I only observe though and do no photography, hope some help

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gary1975 said:

My daughter (9)  and I are interested in starting astrology.

Well, if you're interested in astrology, I found a couple of forums dedicated to the subject.

However, if you're interested in astronomy, then you've come to the right place.

While you can connect some scopes to a phone or tablet, you'll be paying about 60% or more of the price for the electronics rather than the optics or mount.  If you want to go down that route, I was impressed by the Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 HD at a star party a couple of years ago.  A rank novice had bought it and easily set it up, aligned it, and wirelessly connected it to his tablet.  He could navigate around the sky on the tablet, select an object, and the mount would slew to the object and keep it centered.  The optics were superb as well.

Let us know what your budget is so we can better align our recommendations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A perfect starter scope that is also very capable is a Dobsonian like this 6” ......

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Or this slightly heavier 8” which is still manageable by an adult as it splits into two parts like the scope above .....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

First Light Optics are a very good supplier.

Also you can download free software for your PC or tablet called Stellarium which helps you navigate around the sky and shows you where thousands of objects are for observation

You can also mount these scopes on a motor driven equatorial mount at a later date if you want to do photography.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

Hi  and welcome! Just for viewing id suggest an 8inch dob, plenty around for low cost and a great first viewing scope imo. if your venturing into images i couldn't recommend the 130pds enoguh, again dependant on budget but these two are good priced scopes.