NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

22.3.20 A small, dark spot!

Rusted

I just spotted [er-um-er] a small dark spot well onto the disk.

The longer image is cropped from a larger one showing the limb to identify the spot's position.

22.3.20  12.10 AR.jpg

22.3.20 12.j24 AR.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks! It’s clear here and I was wondering whether to bother putting a scope out. Now I will! 👍👍

Good luck. I've spent the morning watching clouds.
It seems to have cleared now I have stopped for lunch.

I tried to observe it in white light on my 150P Newt - but nothing. I switched to the PST + DS and can observe a very faintish plage in the middle of the Sun. Not sure if this is the location of the sunspot.

I looked at GONG but it does not appear to have been updated for a few days - can anyone also check.

SpaceWeather is showing a blank Sun

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I tried to observe it in white light on my 150P Newt - but nothing.
I switched to the PST + DS and can observe a very faintish plage in the middle of the Sun. Not sure if this is the location of the sunspot.

I looked at GONG but it does not appear to have been updated for a few days - can anyone also check.

SpaceWeather is showing a blank Sun

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I just noticed Gong Ha is well out of date. Could they have ceased work because of the virus?
It has become very cloudy here now. So I can't have another look for the moment.
Not far from the center of the disk [E-W] and bit north of the sun's equator but it was very small.

48 minutes ago, Freddie said:

You need to go to gong2.nso.edu to see the latest images. I think they stopped updating on their old site.

Thanks Freddie - I looked at this https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableView/table.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg

Looking at Learmouth it appears there is something in the middle of the Sun - faintish plage?? 

• Like 1

No luck for me either. Tried in white light with the Tak and there was little or no granulation visible and no sign of the spot. The seeing was pretty crummy, it’s rare that I don’t get reasonable views granulation with this setup.

Ha wasn’t much better, far more granulation visible and a tiny prom. Vague hints of something more on the disk but really nothing much.

Lovely day though, mowed the lawn and have generally out and about in the garden doing jobs which is nice.

• Like 1

Thanks to all those who responded. :thumbsup:
It was a very small feature and low contrast.
For H-a I was using my 6" f/10 iStar with PST mods.
I didn't check for visibility in white light due to the cloud.

Let's be very careful out there!  😷

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Thanks to all those who responded. :thumbsup:
It was a very small feature and low contrast.
For H-a I was using my 6" f/10 iStar with PST mods.
I didn't check for visibility in white light due to the cloud.

Let's be very careful out there!  😷

Having rechecked your images, I did see that area in Ha using my 100mm PST mod, I recognise the shape. Really must sort my 150 out one of these days, can’t afford the ERF currently....

• Like 1