Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How long can I use my dslr ?

Hi all

I use a Canon 700d . Temperature at my site is usually between 26-32 degrees celcius. My camera is not modded .

Ive heard that using a dslr for long time can damage the senor because of heat . 

How long should I be taking exposure with my camera before I take a break to let the camera cool a bit ? Say I take 3 or 5min exposures .

In most capture programs like APT or BackyardEOS it tells you the actual temperature of the sensor. When I use the DSLR I tend to do a sub of 2 to 3 minutes and leave a delay of about 20 seconds between frames to allow the sensor to cool. DSLR sensors can get quite hot with long exposures. You may find it beneficial investing in a cooled astronomy camera. Mine can achieve 40 to 45C below ambient. The cooler the sensor the less noise you get in your subs.

1 hour ago, Nova2000 said:

Temperature at my site is usually between 26-32 degrees

Hi

We use a 700d. In the summer months here, ambient is around the same. 4 years now used on more or less a nightly basis with no deterioration.

To combat dslr noise -at any temperature- you can dither between frames.

HTH

18 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Should I take a long break after clicking some subs

We don't. 5 minute frames all night. Sensor well over 30º. 4 years so far. No problem.

I think that waiting between frames is unnecessary and wastes valuable imaging time. The cooling in such a short time would be minimal and if you're dithering, you're waiting 30 seconds or so anyway.

BTW, cooling effect wise, make sure that the screen is hinged out but turned off whilst imaging. 

HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

Conventional CMOS is typically specified to operate between -55 Deg C and +125 Deg C.

So, to answer your question, if your sensor temperature is working within this range, you're unlikely to damage the sensor no matter how long you expose for.

John

Edited by Starwiz
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Will buying a dummy battery which connects to a laptop to power the camera work?

It should work but not sure a laptop can supply enough power, the USB type 5 to 8V converters normally need 5V at 2A to run reliably.

Alan

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Will buying a dummy battery which connects to a laptop to power the camera work?

It may do, but you don't need to do it for the reason of concern about damaging the sensor.

A reduction in thermal noise and increasing your overall imaging time before the battery runs out (if you don't want to replace with spare batteries) are good reasons.

John

• Thanks 1