Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Filter

I was thinking about using baader solar filter film for my SW 200P dob and wondered if I use the small cover on the end cap, could it just be taped on to the inside of the cover ? Not having any experience with Solar viewing I don't want to make any silly mistakes.

That's what most do, from reading various posts. Just make sure it is super strong adhesive tape, like duct-tape and check before each and every use for defects, i.e. pinholes, tears, etc.

Don't forget to make a filter for the finderscope to, or leave the end caps on. 

• 4 months later...

I have just fashioned up this for my 200p. It’s very scruffy but I’ll say it’s a prototype. Found it quite hard to keep the film completely flat but it worked and I got to see a complete white cue ball! ️ The film flexes through air pressure when the lid and dust cap are taken on and off the scope so I’ll be extremely careful to triple check before each use. Doing this method means I have plenty of AstroSolar film from 1 x A4 sheet for replacing the filter however. 

Really don’t think you’d ever need the full aperture on this scope. 

Also the white mask is incredibly important as the lid will heat up extremely quickly without it!

AB19E3D9-2B89-47EC-B1B5-DB7743A34F13.jpeg

138B7915-7AC4-4E5B-8BEE-4FEE01347FFE.jpeg

6EFB68CB-0018-4543-AE1A-9620DBA91090.jpeg

37A77430-6E90-4C2B-AC9F-1954C91B7C61.jpeg

• Like 1