Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GPDX new lease of life

mikeDnight

I've never lost my love for a touch of old Vixen green. Something about the sight of a Vixen green anything causes a rise in blood pressure even today. It must stem from my early days in astronomy when anything Vixen was way out of my financial reach, but it didn't stop me from lusting all the same. Today however, with the advances in electronics and a seeming preference towards all white mounts, Vixen green may seem dated and unfashionable. Yet their value in terms of reliability, durability, serious strength and longevity are undeniable, and there are many seasoned amateurs who are still as proud as punch to have an old Vixen mount in their armoury.

Just over a week ago I noticed an advert for an old green Vixen GPDX that was way past its best. The images in the advert showed what appeared to be a scarred, dusty and a little dismembered DX who's internal Dec shaft had rusted over after being open to the elements, and who's counterweight arm was covered in flaking chrome, barely clinging on. There was no counterweight and only one short slow motion knob. It had duel electronic drives but no hand controller or power pack. It's RA motor cover was missing and so we're both the top and bottom polar scope covers. It had a HAL tripod that was reluctant to close and in need of a good clean, but nothing insurmountable. 

I was so pleased that its owner had decided to advertise it for parts, although I had no intention of using it for such. I imagined I could strip it down, clean away the rust etc and somehow bring it back to a meaningful existence. I did dismantle the mount, cleaned off the rust, which was only surface rust, and put the counterweight arm in a bath of sulphuric acid which removed the flaking chrome. The shaft itself is steel and I'm in two minds as to whether I should have it chromed again, or simply have it buffed up to a high polish? Either way it even now looks much better than it did. I still need to acquire a couple of short slow motion control knobs, the polar scope covers and RA motor cover, then source a green Vixen counterweight. As it currently stands however, this Vixen DX is gradually coming back to life, and is operational. I may in time put the DX in my observatory where my GP currently sits atop a steel pier, and use the GP as my grab and go equatorial, as it's much lighter.

I don't have the original photo's showing the condition of the GPDX when I bought it, but attached are some pic's of its progress. Not bad for £50.

I removed the Dec motor as I had a Vixen RA motor drive and controller,  so I can now leave RA tracking while observing.

1721511544_2020-02-0119_03_55.thumb.jpg.4b11f40309f43d544cd3aa5fdb9b67c0.jpg

The body of the mount, while originally looking scared and battered, has cleaned up nicely.

199489251_2020-02-0119_05_13.thumb.jpg.a81f93972a321adf7fc962781c7603c2.jpg

To my delight, after I'd tightened up a tiny screw on the on/off dial, the polar illuminator works perfectly.

1987325076_2020-02-0119_04_16.thumb.jpg.40ba2852b31d50af01b4daf8bf1644dd.jpg

The flaking counter arm after having the chrome removed and before polishing or rechroming. 

385778435_2020-02-0119_04_35.thumb.jpg.c173389e0348a415dd92c1045a11d6fa.jpg

Then of course there's the Vixen HAL tripod, which after being thoroughly cleaned off with duraglit, shows very little evidence of the paint, scuff marks and what appeared to be blood that came with it.

1781418017_2020-02-0119_05_37.thumb.jpg.0e9b360b154aa905bbc18481bccbd79d.jpg

It's a work in progress, but over time I hope to bring this jewel of a mount as close as I can to its original glory.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I did see that one advertised Mike, very glad it has found a good home. You've done a great job already, look forward to seeing how it progresses. Makes total sense to put it in the observatory, they are excellent mounts and definitely a step up from the GP.

I've got a GP-HAL130 tripod on it's way to me which I think will be a step up in stability over the current lighter weight AL150 I've got.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like you guys  I have a massive respect for my GPDX , in fact I even brought two new sets of gears which gave an additional 2:1 reduction so it would handle my 12" F3.5 Newt  ( Skysensor 2000PC etc ). Unfortunately , due to too many cricks n the neck from strange viewing angles I moved form a newt to a sct and on to a CGEMDX ( which on the face of it may not have been too good a move ) but the tripod is tall enough and rigid enough to make the system usable . 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 19:41, Alan White said:

Did the mount make it to the Observatory Mike?

16 hours ago, Alan White said:

So come on Mike, I am still holding my breath on this one..... 🤪

Not yet Alan. My humble GP is still in the observatory. I sold the DX to a friend, but it may well be on its way back to me soon, so it could well find itself into the obs'y. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Mike seems very quiet lately, I do hope all is well with him?🤔

Alan, thanks for resurrecting this thread, I'd missed it first time around. 

Great mounts, Vixens, all of them!👍

Dave

All's well Dave. I've just run out of steam for a while.😊

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Not yet Alan. My humble GP is still in the observatory. I sold the DX to a friend, but it may well be on its way back to me soon, so it could well find itself into the obs'y.

Glad to know, thanks for the reply.
I presume the DX is just heavier duty than the GP rather than any better in performance?

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Glad to know, thanks for the reply.
I presume the DX is just heavier duty than the GP rather than any better in performance?

I imagine that to be so Alan. For a scope like an FS128 or 200mm Newtonian, the GP is rock solid. The DX is overkill for my little refractor, although it would be perfect for mounting the tube of the 250mm F6 Dob. The OO Dob plays havoc with my back when observing, but with rotating rings on the DX it should be a dream.

• Like 2