Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Find me a finder

Struggling to identify a good finder. Have an RDF which is ok but quite bright (need to tone it down somehow)

Requirements:

• < 50mm aperture
  • RACI
  • variable illuminated and focusable cross hair
  • focusable
  • Not cost as much as a small ED scope!
  • Common mount format

non-requirement:

• Guidescope use

Nice to have

• Accept 1.25" eyepiece

Answers on a postcard please.

I have 6 in total and they are all much of a muchness in so much as centres are decent but edges are poor. The Sky Watcher ED finder from FLO at 159 quid is head and shoulders above the others I have. One of which is the Baader Vario Finder at twice the price and half as good.

Alan

Just now, x6gas said:

I have the Orion 9x50 Illuminated RACI Finder Scope which is great but not sure if it fits with your price constraint...

https://uk.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Finder-Scopes/Orion-9x50-Illuminated-Right-Angle-CI-Finder-Scope/pc/-1/c/1308/sc/1375/p/109848.uts

I think it qualifies, you can't find small ED scope for £100, can you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, x6gas said:

I have the Orion 9x50 Illuminated RACI Finder Scope which is great but not sure if it fits with your price constraint...

https://uk.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Finder-Scopes/Orion-9x50-Illuminated-Right-Angle-CI-Finder-Scope/pc/-1/c/1308/sc/1375/p/109848.uts

Could work. Does this allow you to focus the eyepiece and the cross hair separately?

I bought one of these finder, Polar aligner, works OK, they want another 13 euros for the non standard base and the illuminator design leaves a bit to be desired, wire broke in mine without much use but a replacement was sent quickly.

Dave

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/explore-scientific-8x50-90-degree-polarfinder-amici-prism.html

1 minute ago, Richard136 said:

Thanks. I had looked at all of these in the search. The issue is they are really quite expensive. But maybe that's what it's got to be...

I guess it can't get much cheaper than regular 50mm RACI - which is about 60 or so quid.

You could probably get it to be illuminated with a bit of DIY and additional tenner (small red led, small diy pwm controller, potentiometer and packing it all together with battery casing).

14 minutes ago, Richard136 said:

Could work. Does this allow you to focus the eyepiece and the cross hair separately?

No... and the eyepiece is secured by a circular dovetail in a very short socket so, while you can use different eyepieces, it's not ideal.

I also have an Antares: https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-8-x-50-right-angled-correct-image-illuminated-finderscopes.html  I don't tend to use this one as the eyepiece end is bulkier than the Orion but it could be just what you need.  You'd have to add the bracket which is another £20 - but it comes in a choice of colours!

16 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Not sure what you mean by this, or rather what would be use of that?

In one system I used (can't remember who made it), I'm sure you could focus the view of the cross hair and the view through the scope separately. I may be remembering incorrectly.

Issue is that I take glasses off to observe, so no matter what I must be able to focus the finder.

3 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

There are a couple of RACI illuminated finders on UK ABS.

One is an Option USA 40mm but the brightness difference vs a 50mm will be hardly noticeable.

The Stellarvue is a nice finder.

HTH,

Dave

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=157384

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=157478

Seen those, thanks.

Orion can't be focussed (I believe) and the SV needs a finder shoe... I am picky!!😀

Just now, Richard136 said:

In one system I used (can't remember who made it), I'm sure you could focus the view of the cross hair and the view through the scope separately. I may be remembering incorrectly.

Issue is that I take glasses off to observe, so no matter what I must be able to focus the finder.

Usually cross hair is attached to eyepiece and located at its focal plane at factory. If eyepiece is focused properly to match focal plane of objective - cross hair will be in focus as will be the rest of image.

Most finders are focused only rarely - once you find proper position for them - you are set for quite some time without need to refocus them unless you alternate between having and not having your glasses on - then you must refocus same as with telescope.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Richard136 said:

Orion can't be focussed (I believe)

Most finders can in fact be focused, although it may not be most convenient thing to do. Standard finders focus by unscrewing retaining ring and then screwing in/out whole lens cell assembly - once you are happy with focus - just tighten back retaining ring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, x6gas said:

No... and the eyepiece is secured by a circular dovetail in a very short socket so, while you can use different eyepieces, it's not ideal.

I also have an Antares: https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-8-x-50-right-angled-correct-image-illuminated-finderscopes.html  I don't tend to use this one as the eyepiece end is bulkier than the Orion but it could be just what you need.  You'd have to add the bracket which is another £20 - but it comes in a choice of colours!

Looks good. I will check it out.

5 hours ago, Richard136 said:

Seen those, thanks.

Orion can't be focussed (I believe) and the SV needs a finder shoe... I am picky!!😀

As Vlad says you can, in fact, focus the Orion exactly as he describes, but you can't focus the reticule.

You could always just buy a new bracket for the SV on AB&S - the Antares one from RVO would work fine.

• Thanks 1

Surely the cross hair will be at the same place as the field stop and therefore at the focal plane of the eyepiece, if it is to be sharply defined across the field of view ?

Or are you looking for a way to deliberately put the cross hair slightly out of focus ?