Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last one of the year; Messier 1.

ollypenrice

Happy New Year's Eve to all the good people of SGL and thanks to the Admins and Mods, along with the FLO team, for making it all possible.

So, alas, I can't present a last finished image before the year's out but here I've built up a monochrome HaOIII rendition of the Crab Nebula using data shot over the last two nights in the dual Tec rig, jointly owned with Mr and Mrs Gnomus and Tom O'Donoghue. LRGB will be next on the list. This has 8 hrs per filter for now.  Cameras are Atik 460 and Moravian 8300. The mount is a Mesu 200.

The intriguing tail on the left seems to be a relatively recent feature in amateur images. I've no idea if it has been there all along but it wasn't something I remember seeing till fairly recently. It's an OIII structure, mainly. Indeed I found the OIII layer to be much more beautiful than the Ha, with finer filaments and more subtle details.

1217058545_M1HaOIIImonoWeb.thumb.jpg.3e4e6e38dfb124b71eea0e279e6a8ae0.jpg

Here's to 2020 (which should be good for seeing, right?) 

:icon_mrgreen:lly

Edit: scroll down for bicolour 

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Ooh, lovely detail and structure in the filliaments. Not seen that [OIII] tail before in my images, but then I've only recently moved to a dark-ish location. I have M1 on my hit list so will look out for it.

• Like 1

Nice one Olly, yes I picked up the tail recently too, though not as deep as you have. what sub length are you doing on this?

Why dont you make a Bi Colour version with the data you already have. im not sure LRGB would really add anything compared to narrowband on this target.

Lee

18 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Nice one Olly, yes I picked up the tail recently too, though not as deep as you have. what sub length are you doing on this?

Why dont you make a Bi Colour version with the data you already have. im not sure LRGB would really add anything compared to narrowband on this target.

Lee

15 minute subs, Lee. I don't find the Atik 460 gains much with longer ones though the 11000 does.

I did do a bicolour for fun but I'm not a fan. I find the colour a bit two dimensional, which isn't surprising since that's what it is! I prefer to use an RGB image as a vehicle for the Ha and OIII. I didn't bust a gut on this bicolour and it's years since I did one but it will be interesting to see how it differs from the final HaOIIILRGB.

583683302_HOOCrabweb..jpg.6455c8d91056f146fda6bc0d2609f35a.jpg

Olly

• Like 11

Thats worked pretty well Olly, ive found there are various different colour schemes I can get out of Bicolour.

Here is my image, definitely not as good resolution or as deep as yours, but I was pretty happy with the colour I got out of it, I should have stretched the area around the tail more.

Happy New year 

Lee

M1.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

Thats worked pretty well Olly, ive found there are various different colour schemes I can get out of Bicolour.

Here is my image, definitely not as good resolution or as deep as yours, but I was pretty happy with the colour I got out of it, I should have stretched the area around the tail more.

Happy New year 

Lee

M1.jpg

Nice. I think my Ha was over stretched and rather dominated the structures of the main nebula. I'll do it more carefully when I get the full data set.

Olly

Very nice, and Happy New Year to you and Monique.

The filament is intriguing, I can’t recall seeing it previously, but M1 is a very dynamic object, there aren’t many DSOs that you can see evolving over a 10 year period.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Happy New Year's Eve to all the good people of SGL and thanks to the Admins and Mods, along with the FLO team, for making it all possible.

So, alas, I can't present a last finished image before the year's out but here I've built up a monochrome HaOIII rendition of the Crab Nebula using data shot over the last two nights in the dual Tec rig, jointly owned with Mr and Mrs Gnomus and Tom O'Donoghue. LRGB will be next on the list. This has 8 hrs per filter for now.  Cameras are Atik 460 and Moravian 8300. The mount is a Mesu 200.

The intriguing tail on the left seems to be a relatively recent feature in amateur images. I've no idea if it has been there all along but it wasn't something I remember seeing till fairly recently. It's an OIII structure, mainly. Indeed I found the OIII layer to be much more beautiful than the Ha, with finer filaments and more subtle details.

1217058545_M1HaOIIImonoWeb.thumb.jpg.3e4e6e38dfb124b71eea0e279e6a8ae0.jpg

Here's to 2020 (which should be good for seeing, right?) 

:icon_mrgreen:lly

Edit: scroll down for bicolour 

What incredible detail! Inspirational images like this make me hopeful for 2020!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

15 minute subs, Lee. I don't find the Atik 460 gains much with longer ones though the 11000 does.

Mine was 15 min subs too also with the 460, but only a few hours worth as it never seems to stay clear the whole night anymore in England 😞

Lee

Edited by Magnum

I found some old low resolution RGB data to get an idea of how it might be brought into play. Much stronger signal in green and blue, particularly blue, will (I think) be the way to go. Just thinking out loud. This is essentially HOO with RGB stars.

835566143_HybridWeb.jpg.5af730901ddffe5111ecf33f0664248b.jpg

We're off to Thor's Helmet till the moon goes away.

Clear skies,

Olly

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I found some old low resolution RGB data to get an idea of how it might be brought into play. Much stronger signal in green and blue, particularly blue, will (I think) be the way to go. Just thinking out loud. This is essentially HOO with RGB stars.

835566143_HybridWeb.jpg.5af730901ddffe5111ecf33f0664248b.jpg

We're off to Thor's Helmet till the moon goes away.

Clear skies,

Olly

have you tried make the green channel a blend of Ha & Oiii rather than straight Oiii. I normally use a blend ratio of about  75%Oiii & 25% Ha. 

Edited by Magnum

That's very interesting, Olly.  There's a recent image from 'Bruce W.' here, taken in New Mexico, Ha LRGB so no OIII and even when stretched doesn't really show that tail.  It's certainly not in my LRGB image from 2008.  Cloudy tonight, and the Moon is getting bright and close to M1.  But I'll mebbe have a narrowband look in a couple of weeks and see what my murky UK skies will throw up!

Cheers,

Peter

On 02/01/2020 at 11:10, Magnum said:

have you tried make the green channel a blend of Ha & Oiii rather than straight Oiii. I normally use a blend ratio of about  75%Oiii & 25% Ha. 

I try to stay close to the science so if I were going to add Ha to a channel besides red it would be to blue, since the blue H beta line traces similar gasses to Ha. In truth I'm not in my comfort zone here because, when I add Ha and OIII to RGB data I have the RGB image available as a reference for the colour.

2 hours ago, petevasey said:

That's very interesting, Olly.  There's a recent image from 'Bruce W.' here, taken in New Mexico, Ha LRGB so no OIII and even when stretched doesn't really show that tail.  It's certainly not in my LRGB image from 2008.  Cloudy tonight, and the Moon is getting bright and close to M1.  But I'll mebbe have a narrowband look in a couple of weeks and see what my murky UK skies will throw up!

Cheers,

Peter

The tail is very much an OIII feature, Peter. It only glimmers and fizzles out in Ha!

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 17:02, petevasey said:

But I'll mebbe have a narrowband look in a couple of weeks and see what my murky UK skies will throw up!

Cheers,

Peter

Well, despite the substantial high pressure zone, for the North of Britain it hasn't been kind.  It actually rained on Friday night, and didn't clear until 10.30 pm last night.  Tonight is solid cloud.  Heigh ho!  Anyway, I did manage four hours of OIII last night although M1 was getting pretty low towards the end of the run - it was already past the meridian when I started.  And although the stars are a bit bloated due to my usual poor seeing, the 'tail' is clear, so thanks for originally pointing it out, Olly.  But whether I'll later incorporate the data in a full colour image is another story.  This is 8 x 30 minutes binned 2x2, QSI683 on RC10 Truss.  Full size, cropped from the original, North is up.

Cheers,

Peter

Crop.jpg

• Like 1