Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need ND Moon Filter or Not

johninderby

Eye Colour & Need Moon Filter Or Not  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Your eye colour & do you need to use a ND moon filter or not?

• Light Eyes - No Filter
    • Light Eyes - Need Filter
    • Medium Eyes - No Filter
    • Medium Eyes - Need Filter
    • Dark Eyes - No Filter
    • Dark Eyes - Need Filter

I have always used a moon filter unless viewing a small crescent. I just find the image too bright.

Last night I had an hour of Lunar viewing very near to full moon. I have just started the Lunar 100 so I have head torch on red light to use a handheld moon map, my right hand holds my phone so I can use the voice recorder and I view with my right eye. 
After an hour I can barely see straight to change ep’s. Without an ND filter I don’t think I would last ten minutes.

I am still building up my kit so I haven’t got the better quality filters stage just yet. Decent set of eye pieces next then a couple of quality filters to compliment them.

Hopefully get there by the middle of summer. I use the ND as it came as a package with my box of Orion plossles.

I have a couple of different ND filters (and an Nd filter) I use, mainly to avoid the effects quoted above of having one iris fully open, one closed, and trying to walk around the garden half blinded at night!  Occasionally, the brightness of the Moon at low mag has triggered visual migraines (scotoma), which although fascinating are best avoided, even if they are harmless.

Chris

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

Never bother with a primitive ND filter. Find the Baader neodynium gives me better views. 

Why is an nd primitive John? Neutral density should affect all wavelengths evenly so it should just dim the view without adding colour shouldn’t it? Or are they really not nd?

Looking at the bright moon surface through just about any telescope is glaring for me, like looking at a dim light bulb or car headlights - can stand it briefly but any more than a few seconds and I'm left with a purple blob in my vision for quite a few minutes afterwards.

So, I always use a filter if I'm planning on looking at a bright object such as the Moon or Venus.