NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pleiades using new WBPP script

Skipper Billy

The Pleiades - M45 - Takahashi 106, Atik 16200, Atik EFW3 filter wheel, Baader 2" broadband filters, Mesu 200 mount guided with SW ED72 and ASI 290 mono. Software - SGP, PHD2, processed In Pixinsight using the new WBPP script and fully calibrated with darks, bias and flats. 5 hours exposure @ -30º - 3 hours Lum binned 1x1 and 40 mins each RG and B binned 2x2.

Hi -Res here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/113316085@N05/49128562801/in/album-72157675109735132/

Just discovered I have a dead column in my new camera!  Vertically about 80 - 85% across to the right of the image.  😞 

Pleiades.jpg

• Like 20

22 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

David, is it in your darks and flats too? If a dead column is 1px wide would you even see it?  I’ve several on each of my KAF8300 which calibrate out with bias.

Hi.

I make a calibration file library at the start of the season and the column defect isnt in any of them so it must have just appeared.

I guess I will have to make a new library but I will see what FLO say first.

All the best.

• Like 1

Billy I can see the effect in the image that you are talking about albeit if you hadn't said it would be hard to notice. It is an otherwise lovely shot of Pleiades.  As mentioned above I do hope you can get it resolved either by warranty or by processing out.  Just for info could you explain what exactly is meant by a dead column  - is it simply a column on the sensor which is not not reading and is it a common problem?

Jim 

1 hour ago, saac said:

Billy I can see the effect in the image that you are talking about albeit if you hadn't said it would be hard to notice. It is an otherwise lovely shot of Pleiades.  As mentioned above I do hope you can get it resolved either by warranty or by processing out.  Just for info could you explain what exactly is meant by a dead column  - is it simply a column on the sensor which is not not reading and is it a common problem?

In the image above it is largely processed out - it is very noticeable in the individual subs - particularly the 2x2 subs. AFAIK its a column of pixels that just doesn't work.

Blue 2x2.JPG

• Thanks 1

I've had dead columns in both of my Kodak cameras. Calibration of light frames always corrected the defect. This was probably handled by the processing software, using interpolation from adjacent pixels to give the affected pixels a suitable value.

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

In the image above it is largely processed out - it is very noticeable in the individual subs - particularly the 2x2 subs. AFAIK its a column of pixels that just doesn't work.

Blue 2x2.JPG

Thanks Billy I see what you mean with the individual sub, it is more noticeable there. Thanks for the explanation I had thought that but wasn't 100% sure; if that is a permanent feature  on the camera I can see it would be really frustrating.  I really hope you can get it sorted out .  As before I think that is an otherwise cracking image and my favourite object in the night sky. 

Jim 

6 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

The Pleiades - M45 - Takahashi 106, Atik 16200, Atik EFW3 filter wheel, Baader 2" broadband filters, Mesu 200 mount guided with SW ED72 and ASI 290 mono. Software - SGP, PHD2, processed In Pixinsight using the new WBPP script and fully calibrated with darks, bias and flats. 5 hours exposure @ -30º - 3 hours Lum binned 1x1 and 40 mins each RG and B binned 2x2.

Hi -Res here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/113316085@N05/49128562801/in/album-72157675109735132/

Just discovered I have a dead column in my new camera!  Vertically about 80 - 85% across to the right of the image.  😞 

Pleiades.jpg

Fantastic Image David!

It's great to see you making the most of that big sensor. I wouldn't have noticed the bad column if it hadn't been highlighted but when you know you've got one it becomes a distraction that other people may not even see!

I too have a camera with several bad columns (as you know) and It forced me to completely change the way I image and process my images, it was more work but I think my images have improved as a result.

I not only dither but I now integrate my data in astropixel processor creating a bad pixel map using dark flats etc. 

Here is an example of my BPM and it's bad columns 

BPM-ATIK-460ex__fw_rev_3.40-2749x2199-St.thumb.jpg.48fd49f9f508e3476eda159c651df85c.jpg

They don't seem to appear in my final stacks now!

I don't think for one minute I can teach you anything you don't already know, your images are leaps ahead of my processing skills I just wanted to offer some encouragement that you will overcome this.

Having said that, I do hope you get some joy from FLO as it was a new camera and not cheap!!

good luck!

Bryan

That’s a cracking M45👍

I can only echo the other posters in that I thought dead columns can be effectively calibrated out, maybe the camera just needs some new calibration frames, if you draw a blank on the warranty.