NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

how much to 3D print this?

CedricTheBrave

I have to put the STL file into another bit of software called a "Slicer" that breaks down the stl file into layers of whatever thickness I intend to print (in this case 0.2 mm layers). The software then outputs a file in G-Code that the printer understands and knows where to go and when to extrude etc.

image.thumb.png.97b01bff7dc52eacc230a2ba983dc2db.png

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 3

Worthwhile though. I admit the useful stuff I have printed is a small percentage of the stuff I have printed, but I find it real interesting designing things in 3D then creating the 3d model and finally printing it out. It does not always go smoothly and you cannot easily print just anything as you cannot print things in thin air so sometimes need removable supports but to think this morning I had an idea and a few hours later there it is in your hand and you did all that is a great feeling and one I would have said was fantasy 30 years ago.

There is a bit of a learning curve to it but nothing like there is in AP so I am sure you will be fine.

Steve

• Like 3

Much better than I'm getting ATM with my printer.  Seems I have serious finger trouble or more like brain trouble in getting my settings right!  Can't blame the filament - it's a new reel freshly opened and top quality.

Just now, Gina said:

Much better than I'm getting ATM with my printer.  Seems I have serious finger trouble or more like brain trouble in getting my settings right!  Can't blame the filament - it's a new reel freshly opened and top quality.

Like all ub £1000 printers I do get troubles now and again, usually print not sticking to bed, but a quick going over the PEI sheet with very fine wet and dry and it sticks just fine again. Occasional issues with the 5 colour MMU unit but apart from that the Prusa just works, I really couldn't praise it enough. 

Printers can be finicky now and again as you well know and frustrating but somewhere there is usually a cause, not always obvious though.

But I am sure if anybody can find the problem you can so I am sure it will be running like a good un soon 🙂 

Steve

• Thanks 1

Fixed my printer - real bed surface temperature (as read by IR thermometer) was between 30°C and 60°C lower than the thermistor indicated!!  I've ordered a new heater pad and meanwhile increased bed temperature.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I have had so much help from this forum I am more than happy to give a little back if I can 🙂 

Steve

Agreed!

There is so much negativity and hate going on online.

This is a smashing haven for the sane and well-meaning. :)

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Agreed!

There is so much negativity and hate going on online.

This is a smashing haven for the sane and well-meaning. :)

Absolutely, although I totally agree with the well-meaning you may be on dodgy ground mentioning sane (well for some of us anyway 🤣 )

Steve

• Like 3