NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

9x50 or 6x30 finderscope?

I'm thinking of investing in a right-angled finder scope with corrected vision so that I can easily star hop to find my targets without giving myself a neck injury (as up is down and left is right in my stock finder scope,  it makes this a bit difficult). I've found these two from SkyWatcher on Harrison Telescopes:

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erect-image-finder--bracket.html#SID=22

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-6x30-right-angled-erect-image-finder--bracket.html#SID=22

Just wondering what's the differences between 9x50 and 6x30 and which would be better? 

Adam

It all depends on the scope. The 6x30 is ideal on a small scope where you are trying to keep size and weight to a minimum but the 9x50 is better but well just bigger. On a small mak for instance that is mainly used for lunar / planetary the 6x30 is all you need but if you will be hunting DSOs then the 9x50 is better.

You might consider a 6x30 and a Rigel QuickFinder which makes a nice light combination. The QuickFinder to get you in the area and the 6x30 to zero in.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Adam1234 said:

I can easily star hop to find my targets without giving myself a neck injury

I use a laser sight to get the scope on target because I can't twist my head around very well anymore.  Just be sure to check the skies before lighting it up and be aware of local laws and regulations (Australia in particular).

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

I use a laser sight to get the scope on target because I can't twist my head around very well anymore.  Just be sure to check the skies before lighting it up and be aware of local laws and regulations (Australia in particular).

I'll have a look at a laser sight, any recommendations?

Laser pointers are a bit of a controversial topic. Can’t be used anywhere near an airport or if you live under a flight path. Also not usualy welcome if others are observing with you.

Also only low oowered ones are legal. Lots of illegal over powreed ones for sale online.

Lots of threads on SGL on the subject.

Edited by johninderby

I use 6x30 RACI finders with my refractors up to 120mm aperture. For my 130mm refractor and my 12 inch dobsonian I use 9x50 RACI's. Alongside the optical finder on the dob I use a Rigel Quickfinder illuminated reticule finder.

I have another couple of illuminated reticule type finders that I can use on the other scopes if the intended target makes that sort of finder more useful.

I'm often on the flight path for Bristol airport so I would not use a laser sight. We use one at my society outreach events but very sparingly.

10 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

Just wondering what's the differences between 9x50 and 6x30 and which would be better? 

I prefer the 9x50 but on our Skywatcher 130dps I haven't been able to get it to balance with our 9x50 so have to resort to the supplied 6x30... The 9x50 however was fine on our previous Skywatcher 130 OTA which had longer tube length. (Also on the 130dps I had to switch from a Telrad to Rigel Quickfinder as there was insufficient OTA length above the tube rings to fit the Telrad base)

I find it much easier with the right-angled finder scope, so good to know there's an option for that on the 6x30!

The 9x50 is 9 time magnification / 50mm diameter & the 6x30 is likewise 6 times magnification & 30mm dia.

Cheers
Ivor

8 hours ago, Aramcheck said:

I prefer the 9x50 but on our Skywatcher 130dps I haven't been able to get it to balance with our 9x50 so have to resort to the supplied 6x30... The 9x50 however was fine on our previous Skywatcher 130 OTA which had longer tube length. (Also on the 130dps I had to switch from a Telrad to Rigel Quickfinder as there was insufficient OTA length above the tube rings to fit the Telrad base)

I find it much easier with the right-angled finder scope, so good to know there's an option for that on the 6x30!

The 9x50 is 9 time magnification / 50mm diameter & the 6x30 is likewise 6 times magnification & 30mm dia.

Cheers
Ivor

At least I know I won't have any issues with balancing as I've got the skywatcher 250px, so quite a big scope, and looking at the specs, the supplied finderscope was a 9x50 

1 minute ago, joe aguiar said:

I'll say rigel or telrad over those 2

As has already been suggested, the ideal setup is to have both a Rigel / Telrad and an optical finder on a scope - they complement each other.

oo12dob02.JPG

• Like 1

Toughie, but personally I find the 6x30 finderscope better to use than a 9x50, purely because of the wider field of view, so find it more eaier to use than the 9x50 because of this, although the 9x50 can scoop up fainter objects so if at a dark sky site then this would work better most likely.

• Like 1

I used to use a 60mm f/4 binocular half with a 32mm Plossl and 90° Amici prism as a wide field finder when first starting out.  I found the weight (with the finder's tube rings) threw off the balance of my 8" Dob no matter where I put it, so I stored it away for nearly 20 years (being a pack-rat).  It added some field to the Dob, but at the cost of light gathering.  I found a Telrad or QuikFinder to be good enough for star hopping, especially once I added DSCs.

I dug it back out for use with my daughter's 127mm Mak.  This time, I put a 24mm APM UFF in it and mounted it close to the altitude axis's centerline.  The 127mm Mak and the 60mm finder make for a very complementary pair now.

I guess it depends how faint the stars are that you are going to use as hopping points to your target.

If you are looking for something moderately faint then even a large aperture finder is not going to show it - thats what the main scope is for after all.

When I'm going for really challenging and faint targets the main scope with a low power eyepiece forms part of the finding system:

- Illuminated reticule finder: gets me to within a couple of degrees of the target

- Optical RACI finder: used with a good star atlas to get closer, to around half a degree of the target location. With targets brighter than mag 10 the optical finder can pinpoint "suspects" as well.

- Low power / wide field eyepiece in the main scope: final stages of star hopping using fainter stars and confiming (or otherwise) "suspects"

Thats my approach anyway. I think thats the thing with finder systems - each person develops a method that works for them and then supports that with suitable finding devices.

11 hours ago, Alan64 said:

I can't help but to want to bypass the usual fare, and then to wonder as to viability of this 70mm f/4 achromat.  With a 32mm eyepiece inserted, 9.4x...

https://www.barska.com/30070-225-power-starwatcher-telescope-by-barska.html

I'm thinking that getting its optical axis aligned with the main OTA might prove challenging without tube rings of any sort.  That, and it's weight would making mounting it extra difficult.

• Like 1