NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC891

ollypenrice

Another one from an enjoyable fortnight with our guest Paul Kummer, though this uses a previous dataset as well. The increase in data does allow some little advantages to be teased out even though the first set was pretty good. Here we have around 7 hours of luminance and three hours per colour. There's no NB in this. It's full size here with the 0.9"PP of the TEC/Atik 460 used for luminance and cropped heavily.

Dual TEC140, Mesu 200, Atik 460, Moravian 8300. Rig co-owned by myself, Tom O'Donoghue and Mr and Mrs Gnomus.

679057819_ALLLRGBWIDE.thumb.jpg.5281f0e16d187085e69b7493bbd02166.jpg

Olly

• Like 31

Wonderful indeed, and with lots of small galaxies in the background. 

Olly, please send some clear skies north, so I can have a go at this target. It seems to be slipping past me behind a solid cloud cover. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Petergoodhew said:

Another great image Olly. What’s the thinking behind 9 hours of colour and 7 of luminance? I always thought the most of the capture should be luminance to tease out most detail?

Peter

Resolution in the colour-shooting camera is a little lower than in the luminance-shooting camera, so a bit more colour doesn't go amiss. However, the weightings are also a matter of historical accident - how much from which filters we kept on the first shoot a couple of years ago. This image is just based on everything found in the collective pot!

In all honesty I think we had reached data saturation, here, in the sense that we had enough data for more of the same to have little effect. I think, in the end, that I may have included 9.25 hours of L rather than the 7 I quoted but the weighting of two luminance runs was done by eye using Ps layers.

In processing I spent more time on star control than on anything else. The galaxy just looked after itself.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

13 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Joining this forum and being able to see all the images the members post was one of the best things I've done.

I'll second that, and Olly's pictures always have a 'wow' factor to them.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful image Olly, first time I see those yellow/brown patches of dust/cloudy above and below the central dark line with such clarity. I need to visit you again and have another session of obscure galaxies :)

kind regards
Michael

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fate187 said:

Beautiful image Olly, first time I see those yellow/brown patches of dust/cloudy above and below the central dark line with such clarity. I need to visit you again and have another session of obscure galaxies :)

kind regards
Michael

Any time, Michael... Obscure galaxies have a certain charm!

Olly