Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Short animation.

MilwaukeeLion

10 hours ago, Rusted said:

Excellent! Truly remarkable! :thumbsup:

A bit more detail on your methods would be most helpful for we plagiarists. :biggrin:

Thanks Rusted sure, this time I ended up with 13 x 1000 frame mono 8 avi's taken minute apart.

1.  Ran each vid through as3 stacking best 200 frames, saved each of 13 final images as tif named them prom1-prom13 in order.

2.  Opened all 13 in photoshop at once (so each is separate project along top in ps, not layers yet) 

3.  Applied same unsharp mask and gamma settings to each image (playing with gamma brings out finer details of prom).

4.  Roughly cropped each image to zoom in on area wanted to highlight.

5.  One image at a time (in order) I copied and pasted into prom1 to create another layer, lowered opacity of  new layer and lined up with first image, raised opacity back up. 

6.  Did final crop to clean up rough crop from earlier after lining up all 13 layers. 

7.  Click create frame animation, highlighted all layers and click create frames from layers, adjust speed of animation to your liking. 

8.  Played around with different colors ultimately settling on b&w inverted.

9.  Click export (save for web legacy), other adjustments can play with there, then save as gif.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks. You make it sound so easy. :biggrin:

Well done again and thank you for sharing your gifts.

This is just the sort of thing to inspire others to get involved. 

So much for there being "nothing to see on the Sun at the moment."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Many thanks. You make it sound so easy. :biggrin:

Well done again and thank you for sharing your gifts.

This is just the sort of thing to inspire others to get involved. 

So much for there being "nothing to see on the Sun at the moment."

Hope you (and others) post some.  This attempt came out better than first (just plucking frames from one long video). Next time I think spacing videos 5 minutes apart over hour or two will produce more dramatic prom action.  I used winjupos to do a Jupiter animation that came out nice, not sure if it can be used with sun for the same though.  It created in between videos which was nice doubling the # of frames to make a smooth animation.  Can a prom even be de-rotated 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

One image at a time (in order) I copied and pasted into prom1 to create another layer, lowered opacity of  new layer and lined up with first image, raised opacity back up. 

Ouch! That's what I used to do (even with 200-frame time lapses). Got quite "fast" at it, say, 7-8 seconds per image… ;)

So eventually I wrote ImPPG for:

- quick batch-processing of multiple stacks

- automatic alignment of sequences with sub-pixel precision

Download and tutorial links available at https://greatattractor.github.io/imppg/

Exporting the animation can be also done in GIMP:

- open all aligned frames via File/Open as layers

- crop/resize everything to taste

- preview with Filters/Animation/Playback

- make a GIF via File/Export As..., choose GIF, mark "As animation"

Edited by GreatAttractor
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, GreatAttractor said:

Ouch! That's what I used to do (even with 200-frame time lapses). Got quite "fast" at it, say, 7-8 seconds per image… ;)

So eventually I wrote ImPPG for:

- quick batch-processing of multiple stacks

- automatic alignment of sequences with sub-pixel precision

Download and tutorial links available at https://greatattractor.github.io/imppg/

Exporting the animation can be also done in GIMP:

- open all aligned frames via File/Open as layers

- crop/resize everything to taste

- preview with Filters/Animation/Playback

- make a GIF via File/Export As..., choose GIF, mark "As animation"

Oh wow, just checked out your plasma shower animation! Incredible, that's what i'm after.  7 to 8 seconds to align each? Took me 1-5 minutes to get each layer aligned 😆. The sub-pixel precision and batch processing will make doing these so much better.  Will give it a go, thank you!