NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

32mm Plossl (Again?!)

cloudsweeper

OK - after having a bit of an obsession for WA EPs, I purchased a 20mm TV Plossl and rapidly realised how good it is for contrast and planetary/lunar detail.  So I fancy a 32mm, especially for my longer FL 'scopes, and can't decide on which to go for.  I don't want an economy one,  just one that will repeat the contrast of the TV20.  And eye relief of around 22mm is fine by me.

The TV 32mm Plossl is a bit dear, so that leaves the Baader Classic Plossl, the Meade 4000, the Celestron Omni, and no doubt several others.  Can anyone please give me the benefit of their experience so I can choose a 32 that will satisfy my requirements?

Doug.

Hi . if you are happy with the TV 20mm ,then I suggest you save a little longer and go for a TV 32mm. The TV plossl are really good. I have a few including the TV 32mm ,and I don't think by getting yourself another make ,will be beneficial to you. You may get the "what if" syndrome, and end up having to buy a TV 32 mm in the end in any case. 

In my opinion save a little more and get the TV 32 mm. They do come up second hand , and this is how I got mine. I hope this helps

• Like 2

+1 for TV32.

If you don’t you’ll always wonder ‘what if’ ... and then save for one.

EDIT: Sorry, should have read earlier post more fully. Like what he said! 🤭

Edited by Floater
  • Like 2

To be honest, I wouldn't go for any of the 3 you mentioned above. 

The TV 32 is a nice eyepiece, maybe worth saving for, a bit overpriced IMHO but  a nice ocular.

I'd also recommend a used Celestron Ultima Japan 30mm, or one of its siblings (all the same optically), ie Baader Eudiascopic, Parks Gold, Orion Ultrascopic - all 30mm, 52 Deg FOV, same as the TV 32, and probably available used at between £50 and £70. They have a beautiful, large eye lens and are just a joy to use. Pics show my late lamented Parks Gold Series 30mm eyelens..

HTH☺

Dave

s-l300.jpg

IMG_20180226_183940613.jpg.f8de767d51143ee6f92c2c0c0c05fd14.jpg

• Like 5

I think Dave has set out what my thoughts on this would be as well :smiley:

If you go for a TV 32mm plossl it is worth budgetting for one of the eye guard extenders to go with it. They make using the eyepiece much more comfortable in terms of eye positioning.

A low cost alternative to the above would be a Vixen NPL 30mm which I liked a lot when I had one.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone - some new things to mull over there!  

The TV is a strong contender (after saving) - after all the TV20 is very good, and there's no point getting anything that wouldn't live up to that.

@John - would you say the Vixen NPL is significantly better than the others I mentioned?

Doug.

17 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

@John - would you say the Vixen NPL is significantly better than the others I mentioned?

I've compared it with the Baader 32mm plossl here:

I've not compared those with a Meade or Celestron Omni 32mm plossl although I have owned and used both at some time over the years and found them OK but nothing special.

The Vixen NPL 30 is not as good as the TV 32mm or Ultima / Ultrascopic 30mm either in build terms or optically but I felt that it was pretty decent for a 45 quid (new) eyepiece.

If you are looking for TV plossl quality then I can't think of anything other than the TV 32mm or the Ultima / Ultrascopic that really ticks that box though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

I'd also recommend a used Celestron Ultima Japan 30mm, or one of its siblings (all the same optically), ie Baader Eudiascopic, Parks Gold, Orion Ultrascopic - all 30mm, 52 Deg FOV, same as the TV 32, and probably available used at between £50 and £70. They have a beautiful, large eye lens and are just a joy to use. Pics show my late lamented Parks Gold Series 30mm eyelens..

I wholeheartedly agree having used both the TV 32mm and the 30mm Ultima. There is also the 35mm Baader Eudiascopic, another possibility with all the same attributes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

To be honest, I wouldn't go for any of the 3 you mentioned above. 

The TV 32 is a nice eyepiece, maybe worth saving for, a bit overpriced IMHO but  a nice ocular.

HTH☺

Dave

s-l300.jpg

IMG_20180226_183940613.jpg.f8de767d51143ee6f92c2c0c0c05fd14.jpg

What a great eyepiece set. I loved my Orion Ultrascopics. Always rated them higher than the TV plossls i had at the time.

• Like 1

The TV 32mm needs the eyeguard extender if you do not wear glasses when observing, otherwise you have to hover well above the EP, great eyepiece otherwise.

I had one, but returned it for the above reason a few years ago, replaced with Celestron Omni 32 which was good, but not as good as the TV one, then had the Vixen Plossl.  I wanted a Ultima or similar, but could not find one, were replaced with the Vixen LVW 22mm.

If I bought another 32mm it would be Ultima type.

• Like 3

Have always wanted to try the Ultimas or Baader/Orion equivalents - so many positive reports. From my own experience, I’ve compared Meade and Celestron Plossls with the TV32mm and while they come quite close, the TeleVue clearly pulls ahead on transmission - particularly noticeable on solar ha. 

• Like 3

The Meade 4000 32mm is pretty good optically. The actual lense is embedded much lower than on the Televue, which allows one to get closer to the eyepiece, whilst retaining eye relief. Given the very large eye relief on 32mm eye pieces in general, this can be critical for viewing comfort.

• Like 1