Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 72ed and Dslr focus help for a newbie

I recently acquired this lovely scope and I was wondering what I specifically need to get it to focus with my canon 550d,I've read that I need to increase back focus? Sorry if I sound stupid but I get confused about different sized threads and spacers/flatteners etc,would I be able to purchase what's needed rather cheap?

46 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

Hi easiest way is to get the dedicated reducer/flatner it is sold at FLO 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-85x-reducerflattener-for-evostar-72ed-pro.html#about_this_product

This and the associated adapter will get you the correct spacing and a nice flat field also

Just don't have 169 big ones spare right now :(

wouldn't a t ring and 2 inch t adapter be a much cheaper alternative to get focus on stars? I'm not looking for perfect images I just want to be able to focus and have some fun once these clouds go away 

Yea if you get say this

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/skywatcher-dslr-m48-ring-adapter.html

But then you will need this also

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-2-nosepiece-to-male-m48-thread.html

Basically you need the adapter to have male Canon bayonet then an extension tube to connect to that and into your focuser as you say

• Like 1

Forgot to say make sure the extension tube is long enough, I have no experience with the ED72 but on the ED80 you need to cover the distance that would usually be taken up by the correcting prism if using it visually, The flattener does this without the extension but obviously avoiding the expense of that you need to have enough outward travel on the focuser to get the camera in focus. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hold on here ..... surely you only need a T-adapter (shoves into eyepiece holder on scope) and T-ring for camera (screws onto t-adapter).
(I know you don't have the flat field - but this is not essential when starting off - small steps and all that .....)
Be about £40 if that .....

All the best .. :)

There is also this option:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/ovl-field-flattener.html

This is a flattener and also acts as the extension tube. I think the SW 72ED works in this F range. I use this set up on my WO 72mm Megrez for astrophotography

Your camera T adapter screws into the flattener so it is very solid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Limerick John said:

There is also this option:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/ovl-field-flattener.html

This is a flattener and also acts as the extension tube. I think the SW 72ED works in this F range. I use this set up on my WO 72mm Megrez for astrophotography

Your camera T adapter screws into the flattener so it is very solid.

Yes this will work fine, I have the SW 72ED and this flattener and it works perfect.

I finally managed to make a good focus yesterday, i can show you a pic and what parts I used tomorrow. 

But I have evostar 72ed, ovl flattner, t2 ring and m48 adapter.

But when i used the m48 adapter and the ovl flattner the distance was to long to get focus.. So i removed the m48 adapter and just used the standard "part" - >ovl flattener - >t2 ring - >dslr

Screenshot_20190914_185242.jpg

Edited by Calzune
Edit

• 2 years later...

Hi  try the canon adapter and the OVL field flattener £40 tops  from FLO.  the OVL FF  screws into the canon T ring adapter then you can get  a fair amount of back focus  or if you are into engineering or know a good friend  who can tap a T thread onto a 2 inch tube even better ... probably cost a pint or two in the pub.

1 hour ago, boulderbelly said:

Hi  try the canon adapter and the OVL field flattener £40 tops  from FLO.  the OVL FF  screws into the canon T ring adapter then you can get  a fair amount of back focus  or if you are into engineering or know a good friend  who can tap a T thread onto a 2 inch tube even better ... probably cost a pint or two in the pub.

Thanks... But I posted this 3 years ago lol