Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom eyepiece for h alpha

5 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

If I remember accurately, the Pentax zoom was the first 'non-stock' eyepiece I ever bought. I went to the retailer (as we used to do in the olden days - physically walked there - complete madness!) in search of a Baader zoom for standard night viewing, about which I'd heard good things. Anyway, they were out of the Baader, but recommended the Pentax XF, claiming it was even better, and worth the extra few quid. When I tried it out I was disappointed - even on slow scopes it was a step down from the perfectly good plossls I'd been using for years. Then later I got to use it for solar white light and ha, and it's been a faithful companion ever since. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have Adam

Thank you. I am more and more convinced that I have made a good choice.

On 22/07/2019 at 20:53, johninderby said:

The TS version of the Lunt zoom is on special right now at Telescope Express and a great buy. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4651_TS-Optics-Premium-Zoom-Eyepiece--7-2-mm-to-21-5-mm---1-25-.html

Trigger pulled & delivered today :) Thanks again for the heads up.  Been himming and hawing over picking up one of these for yonks.

Cloudy here (what are the odds...) but looking forward to trying it out.  If it works well, it'll be a very convenient addition!  In my Ha scope, the narrow fov shouldn't be a concern.  I'm sure it will be handy for my 130p if camping with the family too.

Edited by niallk

• 5 months later...

Hi, i just see the hyperflex zoom (60=40 degree) for 69 pounds  At Bristolcameras store. Also the pentax xF zoom for 199 pound.   I was messing around with my seben zoom and it got broken At the bottom. ( some dust get in)  Becource of this , maybe to me the better build quality of the Pentax will make the difference.

Edited by andre2

You now what -maybe I just go for a Celestron clone again at AliExpress for just 52 dollar!! And be a little careful next time. And  dond try to clean the glasses or shake it.  things can get broken fast with zooms!  maybe also a" simple " Zoom glass with just a few coatings is better or at last as good for alpha-H= who knows? 

Edited by andre2

2 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I use a Pentax XW 8- 24mm zoom for Ha observing.

Technically, it's a Pentax XL.  The 8-24mm zoom was never updated with the XW release, so it's a 20+ year old design rather than 16+ years for the XWs.

That's a newer Pentax PR XL zoom for which there are no reports whatsoever.  It was introduced a few years ago.  Who wants to go first buying and testing it?

Here's the Pentax SMC XL zoom on FLO, Bristol Cameras, and Agena Astro.  You would also be correct to simply refer to it as the Pentax SMC 8-24mm Zoom as B&H Photo and several others do.  However, I've never seen a single commercial reference to it being labelled the Pentax XW zoom anywhere, and that was simply my point.  As far as I can recall, Pentax has never put the XW appellation on any zoom eyepiece.

Edited by Louis D