Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Observing Area Build

Alan White

1 minute ago, Mike Q said:

Thats a nice looking unit there.  So it will be roll out instead of roll off 

Indeed it will Mike, makes the mounts and 10" so much closer and easier to shift,
I am having knee and hip issues and this is part of making life more easy.

Oh and Mrs W gets the 10" out of the House too, which is a positive move 👍

• Like 1

I have been asked why the Store is located as it is in a PM, which is a fair question to pose, thanks @Mike Q.

The Shed / Store is central to the concrete and this allows both doors to open fully open as they are 2' roughly wide.
The shed is 6' with about 1' walls each side of doors. 

IMG_6519.thumb.jpeg.7348e045663124dbc3c69635fa462e5e.jpeg

I have had help getting the kit in for the picture and more room than I expected, which is good.
Mind you my immediate thought was room for more kit!! Bad, Bad me.

It is furthest back on the pad, which allows me to see the sky above my tree line, even with the Dob in use.
Or so I worked out....time will tell if that is correct.

IMG_6515.thumb.jpeg.b5bc1c65ce46d86071c0852a58b79520.jpeg

IMG_6518.thumb.jpeg.87362c18877bed25b386903daeff8be0.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Well following the good advice given on shed types,
the wooden store has just arrived and been put up.

This is work in progress and will go Green in near future, but a notable step onwards.
Electrics to run between Khazi and Store for lighting and a socket too.

Before the Store

IMG_6515.thumb.jpeg.832e1c67e2d3670bb8b99598119ee8b1.jpeg

And with the Store

IMG_6518.thumb.jpeg.e84e92cec291826afdf3078fb93570b4.jpeg

A nice solid job, very pleased with the quality from my local maker Falcon Sheds.

IMG_6517.thumb.jpeg.ef96a95bc82b74b76a8fbb8719195a9a.jpeg

Alan and I have had a off thread discussion going on about this and it is with his blessings i present "how the damn yank" would have done it.  

Over here in the States loosing space on a nice concrete pad just isnt an option, that falls into the oh hell no category.  So, again with Alan's permission, i am presenting a couple different options that are probably more in line what I would have done.

Plan A .... and the simplest.  Remove sod equal to the depth of the shed and across the width of the slab.  Add a wee barrier, some paver base, tamp it down.... (Why does this sound familiar?) and set the shed on it.  No loss of concrete, less yard to mow.  Its a win win.

Plan B.... Remove those hedges on the left side of the slab and then do plan A.  Ok nobody said this was going to be easy and yeah that is probably what I would do.

Anyway this is not presented as criticism but as here are a couple more options that one might consider.   

I have to laugh at above as the original concrete area was far bigger and was part removed to make this pad area.
The aim at the time was shielding from lights next door, it does that job fairly well.

GKAA1034.thumb.JPG.a1782f78c909dcebb3ac1dc46f009b9b.JPG

Edited by Alan White

Had a quick shuffle about of kit over my lunch stop today and pointed the LS40 at a cloudy sol.
But made first use of 'The Store' and upgraded Observing Area.
I also just ordered some more SWA, Glands etc to run power from the Khazi and allow for a socket and red and white lights (watch this space).

IMG_6523.thumb.jpeg.317dc0e72dcaa6610833f6cb46ec5ba7.jpeg

Pleased to get to this point, especially how I am hobbling about at present.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 6

I reckon that, with 4 tactically spaced eye bolts, 2 lengths of braded steel wire, an eyeleted tarpaulin and a handful of rings, you could put an easily retractable awning over that

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

I reckon that, with 4 tactically spaced eye bolts, 2 lengths of braded steel wire, an eyeleted tarpaulin and a handful of rings, you could put an easily retractable awning over that

Party patio? 

2 hours ago, Franklin said:

...... that's how telescopes get dropped😊.

Which brings up the subject of "jigsaw" rubber matting around the mount [over the concrete.]
To make things bounce nicely.

• Like 3

Nice to see the progress of the project. I am planning a similar build, but in my case I need the barrier about 3m high (I have upstairs neighbors who don't believe in curtains) so looking at a line of evergreen espalier trees. I don't imagine it will prove fully effective screening, but I guess somebody would object to a 3m high fence outside their kitchen window! Also looking at a small shed like you for storage although I would like to have a small fold-out table for my laptop when doing imaging. Also thinking about the the SkyWatcher wheelie-pier you have... how do you find maneuvering it in and out of the shed?

10 hours ago, Ags said:

Nice to see the progress of the project. I am planning a similar build, but in my case I need the barrier about 3m high (I have upstairs neighbors who don't believe in curtains) so looking at a line of evergreen espalier trees. I don't imagine it will prove fully effective screening, but I guess somebody would object to a 3m high fence outside their kitchen window! Also looking at a small shed like you for storage although I would like to have a small fold-out table for my laptop when doing imaging. Also thinking about the the SkyWatcher wheelie-pier you have... how do you find maneuvering it in and out of the shed?

The pier is a Vixen one for the GP mount and has no wheels, its light aluminium construction.
The reality is that its used as I need a second tripod, I prefer a tripod for stability.
Wheels would be a pain as the shed floor is about 60mm above the concrete level and has a small lip in the doorway.

On your build, make sure you discuss the trees with the neighbor if you can, things like that tend to set people going.
A drop down shelf would be simple enough, if you had a shed purpose made, the builder could make that part of the design.

I look forward to see where your own project goes, I am sure it will get tweaks just like my one has done over time.

One thing to consider is security for whats in the store space, I have various bars and locks on order to add to my store,
some is due in the post today, so a few more steps yet before the green fence and shed treatment comes out to match the rest.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Indeed I could, but only if I want to take up flying.
We are in the Essex Alps 😉 and catch uphill breeze (understated) and anything that can get lift, does.
The Store will be fixed down to the pad before Autumn to ensure that it is not a flying shed.

I do like the overall cover idea, that will be at my next property when I downsize and retire,
but not wishing my time on this fine blue orb away in anticipation and making things work for the now.

• Like 2

The pier is a Vixen one for the GP mount and has no wheels, its light aluminium construction.
The reality is that its used as I need a second tripod, I prefer a tripod for stability.
Wheels would be a pain as the shed floor is about 60mm above the concrete level and has a small lip in the doorway.

On your build, make sure you discuss the trees with the neighbor if you can, things like that tend to set people going.
A drop down shelf would be simple enough, if you had a shed purpose made, the builder could make that part of the design.

I look forward to see where your own project goes, I am sure it will get tweaks just like my one has done over time.

One thing to consider is security for whats in the store space, I have various bars and locks on order to add to my store,
some is due in the post today, so a few more steps yet before the green fence and shed treatment comes out to match the rest.

If you were handy a door threshold and modifying the doors to accommodate it would be easy.  Then wheels wouldnt be a problem. 

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

The neighbours along that end of the garden are short-term airbnb tenants and the owners uncontactable, but the treetops will be well below their window line so I think all will be good. Besides, who could possibly object to an elegant line of espaliers?

I don't imagine my shed floor will be level with the paving - I was planning on getting a wheelchair ramp or similar. 

• Like 1

Power from Khazi to Store shed run this morning in SWA, just a double socket with USB outlets so far.
Light/s inside yet to be sorted out, but one step at a time.

IMG_6546.thumb.jpeg.25702a98e0c9b811c6bf9144e4a13235.jpeg

IMG_6548.thumb.jpeg.81becb7da4c56b5a54b33a2851765b62.jpeg

And beefed up the doors for heavier lock and adjusted doors so no slight binding etc.

Will also add an outside red light for when setting up and breaking down kit, should be so much easier than a torch.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 5

Talking of increased security: Don't have the heads of screws holding hinges, latches or hasps accessible.
An easy target for a rechargeable drill/screwdriver. I recommend coach bolts with domed heads.
Nothing to grip nor attack with any normal tool. Make life as difficult as possible for the thief.
Many padlock hasps are as strong as butter. Check your contents insurance covers "outhouses."

2 hours ago, Rusted said:

Talking of increased security: Don't have the heads of screws holding hinges, latches or hasps accessible.
An easy target for a rechargeable drill/screwdriver. I recommend coach bolts with domed heads.
Nothing to grip nor attack with any normal tool. Make life as difficult as possible for the thief.
Many padlock hasps are as strong as butter. Check your contents insurance covers "outhouses."

Thanks Rusted, that’s exactly what’s next and ordered for next week, a pile of coach bolts and bits.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Hi Alan…….love the new shed…….just one comment……..there’s room for a much bigger Dob in there😁😁

Ed.

Thanks, it does work well.
Indeed there is Ed, perhaps a second one, well one day, it was my first thought as soon as the kit was moved out to its new home,
oh look....room for more kit!

• Like 1

Thanks, it does work well.
Indeed there is Ed, perhaps a second one, well one day, it was my first thought as soon as the kit was moved out to its new home,
oh look....room for more kit!

FLO has a very nice 16 inch dob that would look really nice sitting there.  That seems like a no brainer to me lol.  Just looking out for your best interests.