Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M45 + 13 moving asteroids !!!

paulobao

Hello everyone,

bad, bad weather here in Portugal :crybaby: . So I need to wait to take those M42 subs I need to accomplish my M42.

Meanwhile I needed to do something (astronomical speaking :) ).

In another astrophoto forum that I usually post I saw an image of M45 taken last 22th Nov. The author claimed for a 1 asteroid bonus in that photo. Well I laugh and sent the author a PM : "you have at least 12 asteroids on that image. Of course you cannot see all because your image is a static one. Please send me the subs I will do the animation GIF job". So the author sent me the 10x10 min subs (very compressed JPEGs with only half resolution :crybaby: ) and I make my job.

Not only the image contains the 12 asteroids but the NearEarthObject 2004XK3. Do you believe it ?

Please see this image in a dark room and with adapted vision since some asteroids are really difficult to see (mag 17.8 with a refractor and a non mod Canon 350D !!!)

Here the link (wait until the full gif is loaded):

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5436&g2_serialNumber=1

paulobao

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just how did you find all those objects? I took 10 X 10mins subs of the same object last night, I would love to find some of those things in it!

Make a gif Craig and enlarge it.

Then scan the gif i persume

Thank you all. I'm glad you like it.

Blinky, I don't know nothing about your image so, I don't know what are the "astronomical field" of it but you should have between 8 and 10 asteroids (depending of the image) with mag <18.

If you need help just ask (and if you want that I make your animated GIF, I will do it for you. I'm addict to asteroids :laughing2: ).

paulo

What software are you using to identify which asteroids you have captured?

I'm using CDC and then I confirm with MPChecker. I needed to confirm 2004XK3 because it was not listed in CDC. So I went to MPC and put all the necessary data (date, time, RA, DEC...) and yes it is 2004XK3 a NEO. The speed seems to be higher but in fact it is the distance to earth that is much lesser !

paulo

I'm using CDC and then I confirm with MPChecker. I needed to confirm 2004XK3 because it was not listed in CDC. So I went to MPC and put all the necessary data (date, time, RA, DEC...) and yes it is 2004XK3 a NEO. The speed seems to be higher but in fact it is the distance to earth that is much lesser !

paulo

Can you post a link to CDC please?

I find your images fascinating as they demonstrate how dynamic our solar system is.

Wow, just how did you find all those objects? I took 10 X 10mins subs of the same object last night, I would love to find some of those things in it!

Hello Craig,

if you refers to the M45 that you took with your 80ED, than you have 7 asteroids in that field but...from mag 16.2 to 17.8 so maybe it will hard to find it because you only made 5 min subs and your 80ED it is just a f/d7.5 OTA.

Regards,

paulo

paulo

Can you post a link to CDC please?

I find your images fascinating as they demonstrate how dynamic our solar system is.

No I can't :wave: :wave: :wave: because I'm want that software just for me.

I was just kidding, hope you don't mind.

Here the link: http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

And for MPChecker: http://scully.harvard.edu/~cgi/CheckMP

Regards,

paulobao

Thats a wonderful bit of detective work paulobao. It demontrates quite dramatically how busy the Solar System is. Those tiny points of light need to stay well away from us though :)

Nice work though, thank you very much.

Ron.

This is brilliant stuff!

You know what would be incredible? If it was possible to get PHD to use an asteroid as the guide star! Could that be done? I suppose it depends how fast it was moving maybe? It couldnt be used as the star for calibrating im sure, so would phd then be able to keep up?

Archived