NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Struggling to lift your scope?

Macavity

Faced with the perennial problem of "lofting" my 8" Newt (and holding
it with one hand while I do up the saddle)... I dream of "Sky Hooks"?!?! 😸
(Although ostensibly OK, my dicky ticker "lets me know" afterwards...)

But the other day, I switched to lifting the scope in *vertical* orientation 
off an observing stool... That way I can at least do the lift in two stages?
Then I remembered the hydraulic platforms we used to service Particle
Detectors at work. I see they make "mini ones" for lifting Motorbikes... 😎

Cuts out clearance issues re. a winch... dangling the scope on a rope etc.
Better to PUSH the scope from below to avoid disturbing optical setup?

41vqOmmvHaL._SY355_.jpg.caba7b59db809f9626810db57dd955f8.jpg

Who knows? lol! Anyway it's a *different* idea... 😋

• Like 1

This is a problem that those of us that set up for each session will face sooner or later. All my scopes except my big Mak have handles which makes it a bit easier. Only the Mak has to be bear hugged onto the mount.

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

All scopes should have lifting/carry handles. So much easier to fit to the mount.

I've fitted a length of  aluminium section to the 'far side' of the tube rings on mine, as well as providing a handy place to attach a guide scope it's an extra 'grab point' for handling.

• Like 2

Oh, it has handles and things... 

But, y'know how it is... I am a covert to the "girly man" method! 😛
https://youtu.be/IwVg1M6bURI (Nowt wrong with making it easier)

In my (lucky me!) observatory the scope is already at *eye level* when 
horizontal,  so it can see over 6' high walls. Since I mostly image via
"remote control" and  rarely stay outside I think a mini observatory
might have been better / adequate 🤔 Or closer to the ground!! 😸

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1

I have a bike lift simler to the one shown and it ways 60kg but will lift 150kg but the scopes weigh a lot less so ive got carry handles but saying that my scopes havnt moved morethan a few feet in years due to knee problems "darn knees" charl.

• Like 1

I have a hoist in my observatory for lifting heavy telescopes.

As for remote imaging, that's what I do now and also could do with a different observatory design though the present on is fine.

I am a little surprised that you would need an elaborate hoist for mounting an 8" Newt.  Mine weights ~10 Kg and I did not find it too much to handle last time I used it. 

The very first thing I did with the OTA on acquiring it was to fix a bar across the tube rings on the opposite side from the dovetail. The bar and dovetail act as carry handles.  With the OTA propped in position on the clamp I can hold it in position with the handle/bar while doing up the clamp with the other hand.

All scopes bigger than 4" should have a handle, or an accessory bar that doubles as a handle.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I am a little surprised... etc. etc.

Hey, Folks! Can we not get into THAT. I hadn't thought a (not often mentioned)
Cardiac Issue might be central to this. FWIW, I genuinely did have a "slight" MI
back in 2000 or so. Steps were taken to "cure" it... As with many things, success
is not guaranteed and things have deteriorated over the years? I do get chest
pain & feelings of light headedness/nausea when I lift modest loads to height. 😞

I try to be optimistic! lol. And NO animosity! Hey, I've "done" mental heath now.
I'm trying not to get involved "fitness" as well? SGL debate gets so complicated...
If someone mentions having a personal experience, I tend not to challenge it? 🙂

I posted a while back re. handles... A saddle "hook"? ALL just random wibbles. 😸

• Like 1

Geoff (or anyone!) there is absolutely no need to apologise. Perhaps I should have
mentioned it? It's just sometimes I'd would just love to FORGET my limitations... 🙂

Oh WAIT... Maybe I am maligning myself: I did actually say:
Although ostensibly OK, my dicky ticker "lets me know" afterwards...

But then my use of words doesn't always "resonate" with SGL's membership? lol 😋

• Like 2

I would get a box that when your scope is stood up on it places the dovetail at the height on the mount.  Attach the scope to the mount in this position.  Then use the mount to rotate the scope up to the home position

I have a problem with my 10” RC truss, even without the camera/FW/OAG it weighs about 18kgs and I made my pier a bit tall so I have to stand on a kick stool.

I have a major spinal problem and last time when refitting I fell off the stool, banged my head on the pier but saved the scope😳

The losmandy clamp on the 120 is a slide in affair as opposed to jaws that open and it’s a tight fit, once in place which is very tight if you are askew, then there are 3 brass ended rods the secure it firmly.

Next time I will only attempt with my son to help, but it really is a worry, I’m tempted to change the clamps but it will mean re-routing the USB hub secured to the rear.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Jkulin

30 minutes ago, Gina said:

Some sort of hoist or block and tackle.

Thanks Gina, but until I sort an observatory out then there is no way to fix a hoist, but I do think that will be the answer in the future.

• Like 1

Ah, I see.  Yes, makes it difficult.  But one possibility might to rig up a frame with 3 legs - wigwam style without the covering - and attach the hoist to the apex.  This used to be the way amateur car repairers used to hoist the engine out of the body.  Think it was called an A frame.  Any help?

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 08:37, Gina said:

Ah, I see.  Yes, makes it difficult.  But one possibility might to rig up a frame with 3 legs - wigwam style without the covering - and attach the hoist to the apex.  This used to be the way amateur car repairers used to hoist the engine out of the body.  Think it was called an A frame.  Any help?

Thanks Gina, indeed it’s an option, I need to get my observatory built and then the problem would be resolved, but work thankfully is holding me back.

• Like 1