Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher ad?

GazOC

I'm getting on a bit, well, a lot really, and I find myself wondering If many of these devices which appear to be infiltrating Astronomy as we know it, are actually enhancing, or degrading it.  The fundamental requirements required to either observe, or Image the night sky, haven't changed since these disciplines first impacted the Astronomical communities.  Of course the advent of the CCD cameras, and the associated equipment allied to the pursuit of Imaging Deep Sky objects, have been very welcome.    Enhancement devices to aid the observers can also be regarded as a big plus. What seems to be following these welcomed innovations strike me as pretty well unnecessary.  This is only my take on it, and I will always respect the differing views that others may have.

Ron.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, barkis said:

What seems to be following these welcomed innovations strike me as pretty well unnecessary.

I think it's partly the world we live in.  Many people seem to need instant gratification and/or value novelty over utility, and manufacturers create products specifically targeted at that market.

It is of course possible that the ease with which such products allow someone to "experience" astronomy (or whatever) means that more develop a greater interest in the topic, but I remain to be convinced.

James

7 hours ago, JamesF said:

I think it's partly the world we live in.  Many people seem to need instant gratification and/or value novelty over utility, and manufacturers create products specifically targeted at that market.

It is of course possible that the ease with which such products allow someone to "experience" astronomy (or whatever) means that more develop a greater interest in the topic, but I remain to be convinced.

James

No doubting that James, some trinkets are ready made targets for those who might
leap before  asking themselves,Do I really need this?

On a similar note, I have spent money at times on Items I thought
would improve my Golf game, It hasn't happened yet though 😭.

• Haha 1

I work in a cycle shop and apart from a bicycle, everything else I sell is just a 'gadget' to entice the victim customer.

Lots of the accesories make a ride easier or more pleasant BUT, when you get right down to it, all you need for a bike ride is a bike.

The best telescope in the world is just a gadget to improve someones astronomy experience. All you really need to engage in astronomy is a functioning eyeball.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

Skywatcher is bringing out some very interesting bits of new kit. However the Starwand seems to be one of those needless bits of gadgetry. Anyone remember the old Celestron SkyScout?  

Had a Celestron Skyscout. The most expensive piece of junk I didn't need.

It was a gift. I used it once and sold it for 60 quid...

Original cost 600.

I once told a saying from another hobby which applies equally to astronomy and others.

"Fishing tackle shops are not there to help anglers catch fish, they are there to catch fishermen!"

You would not be allowed to use this pointing device at a star party!