SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Antares Region from Spain 2019

carastro

I am not great with camera lens imaging, but this target is too big for my scopes anyway, too low in the UK so no choice but to do it with a camera lens on holiday in Spain.

I imaged this 2 years ago from the same location with my DSLR, but this time I took my Atik460EX to capture it in luminance to add to the colour from the DSLR image.
This is the original DSLR image from 2017

https://www.astrobin.com/full/300756/D/

Using only an ioptron Skytracker and having Bortle 5 skies and a nifty 50 lens this is probably the best I can do with my kit and skills.
Taken over 2 different holidays in Spain:

DSLR in 2017
Atik460EX Luminance only 2019
and combined Nifty 50 lens @ F3.5
DSLR approx 4 hours using Nifty 50 & Zoom lens
Lum 30 x 3mins + 16 x 2 mins combined
Not happy with the nebulosity around and below Antares itself but I think I need to be somewhere with a telescope (and Mosaic) rather than a camera lens to do this any better, but I will probably reprocess it when I get back home where I have a bit more time and a larger screen.

spacer.png

this is my revised image from further down in the thread.  I have moved it up because I think it is being missed with members looking and liking the first one.  

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 28

I found some very old Luminance data that I took at High Halden in 2014 with my previous Atik383L - no idea what scope it was but I suspect it was the WOZS71. Been trying ever since to finish this target.

So I added it to the luminance I recently acquired with my camera lens in Spain, and whilst it only covers about 1/4 of the area, it has neatened up area around Antares, also NGC6121 and NGC6133 are better, also the nebulosity around Al Niyat. 

Definitely worth keeping old data.

Still don't like the blobby stars, but seem to be stuck with them. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Starting to get Scorpio overhead as now rising about 7pm

Love showing off Antares with laser when giving presentations to my Joey and Cubs groups

Still have to get into AP, and like to get colour ZWO camera  

Currently budget restricts me to ZWO ASI290MM Mini

Anyone know much about the 290MM, and what expect to achieve

John

Thanks Gina.

Starting to get Scorpio overhead as now rising about 7pm

Lucky you, I had to travel to another country and use a mini portable set up to get it. over two years. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro

• 1 month later...

have you any tips for lining up etc?

It's fairly easy to see the asterism for this target, but if in doubt, try to get Antares itself in the middle to lower part of the FOV.   With my DSLR which i used in 2017 I recall I could get the whole of the region easily in the FOV, it was more tricky using my Atik460EX.

This was the original DSLR image from 2017, this was with a Nifty 50 lens. 

If you can get Antares and the three Bright top stars (near my watermark) of Scorpius in the FOV you should be fine.

(Then this year I added luminance to the DSLR image for more detail.

2a90a87b8a3e804ce635ca29f595f803.1824x0_

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like all of them Carole, this is an area I wanted to capture but now the trees have ruled it out for this year. I could still get some shots of it but the guiding is much better on the rising side of the mount for some reason.

Alan

Should be great from Bulgaria Alan.  Just annoying it is too low from the UK, I have tried it several times and it's just rubbish.

Travelling aboard I can only do it with a portable set up.

Carole 

• Like 1