NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How can I create a gif of individual exposures?

swag72

10 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Downloaded that and put it somewhere - Pointed PI to it and the same error message......... 

PhotoShop is your friend...! It's really easy to create an animated gif or mp4 from PS. Bit of a pain exporting the frames from PI or wherever, but you will have more success and it will be quicker than fiddling about trying to get ffmpeg.exe to work by the looks of things so far!

25 minutes ago, swag72 said:
31 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

as Gav suggests, maybe you just need to find the folder where ffmpeg.exe lives and include the full path to this folder, something like "C:\win64\usefulprogs\ffmpeg.exe"

It looks like I had to download from the web, there's a link here https://ffmpeg.org/download.html

Downloaded that and put it somewhere - Pointed PI to it and the same error message......... 

have you removed the reference to the libx264 codec?

Still doesn't work...... I've downloaded the llink that James posted, and then linked to the .exe file in PI and still it doesn't work. Looks like another epic PI fail on my part.....

Different problem now though.......

Have got an .avi, but not a 0,5s frame length between each frame, It's all in one screen.

Edited by swag72

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

Different problem now though.......

Have got an .avi, but not a 0,5s frame length between each frame, It's all in one screen.

so I've checked how the arguments that my settings use on the site: http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Options

These work for me:

-y -r 25 -i Blink%05d.png Blink.avi

which are:

-y (global) Overwrite output files without asking.

-r <value> This option is used to set the frame rate, 25 frames/second here.

-i <input> These are the input files, so the PI Blink function converts my JPEGs to .PNG and these are fed into ffmpeg as the individual frames

I guess that the final argument defaults to the output filename, Blink.avi in this case.

So, not so sophisticated use of ffmpeg, but it outputs the required animation without any stress (for me at least!)

PS, if you wanted 0.5s between each frame (i.e. 2Hz), then just use -y -r 2 -i Blink%05d.png Blink.avi

HTH, Andy

Edited by fireballxl5
added PS
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

so I've checked how the arguments that my settings use on the site: http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Options

These work for me:

-y -r 25 -i Blink%05d.png Blink.avi

which are:

-y (global) Overwrite output files without asking.

-r <value> This option is used to set the frame rate, 25 frames/second here.

-i <input> These are the input files, so the PI Blink function converts my JPEGs to .PNG and these are fed into ffmpeg as the individual frames

I guess that the final argument defaults to the output filename, Blink.avi in this case.

So, not so sophisticated use of ffmpeg, but it outputs the required animation without any stress (for me at least!)

HTH, Andy

Thanks Andy - I finally made it work how I wanted changing your r value to 2 

But I also did it in Photoshop......... I think PI is quicker now that I have this sorted :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, swag72 said:

But I also did it in Photoshop......... I think PI is quicker now that I have this sorted

glad that you got this working🙂

I struggled with PIPP but found PI to be more difficult, at least to figure out how to use it. With default settings in PI I prefer the output from PIPP though. I should try better next time as PI is easier to use.

CS, Andy

• Like 1

On 02/06/2019 at 17:47, swag72 said:

But I also did it in Photoshop......... I think PI is quicker now that I have this sorted :)

Sara, are you going to / have you posted the results?! Would love to see what you’ve been up to...

1 minute ago, PhotoGav said:

Sara, are you going to / have you posted the results?! Would love to see what you’ve been up to...

I shall probably put it somewhere! I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile I've put a video together and just need to convert it to a decent .avi file.

• Like 2

I see you've solved it, but if anyone happens upon this thread and fancies a simple command line solution, imagemagick (freeware) is a good tool. From the home page "It runs on Linux, Windows, Mac Os X, iOS, Android OS, and others." It is great for pretty much any format conversion. Essentially, to create an animation is just

convert im1.gif im2.gif -loop 0 animation.gif

(with lots of other options)

https://imagemagick.org/Usage/anim_basics/

Martin

• Like 1

My new phone Samsung A50 has a function within the camera settings to create GIF's automatically. You basically shoot in "Burst" mode and it compiles the individual frames you want, and the end result is is a GIF.

The phone has a front camera of 25 Mp. Cant remember the back camera Mp's. It has 3 lenses, so it will also take 3D images.

I think.

• Like 2