Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wireless connection?

Hi all

Anyone know of a multi-channel wireless usb cable eliminator? :p I just have to get rid of the majority of the cables I have strewn across the floor, else something's going to come a cropper! I basically have three mounts (Celestron AVX, SW Eq3 Pro, Heq5) so two of them I run under Eqmod. Then there's 3 imaging cameras, 3 guide cams and a usb focuser - PC and laptop at the other end. Add in the power cables and it's spaghetti junction! I don't tend to use more than two sets at a time though I wouldn't rule trying to use all 3 sets out together one day! (I have another PC I could use, say for the AVX). Is there such a thing as a wireless usb hub to usb hub? I'm shying away from wired usb hubs as they tend to cause problems though I do use one with a laptop. Distances are short, only 3-4 metres. I intuitively feel there must be something out there that would do the job and work reliably...

Any equipment ideas, suggestions?

Cheers

Louise

Personally I think hard-wired cabling is far superior to wireless connections. Better bandwidth, more reliable, no need for yet more kit, cheaper and you can see exactly what is connected and where. Plus, you'll still have to run pwoer cables
How about looking into some cable trunking products to tame all the loose wiring?

1 hour ago, pete_l said:

Personally I think hard-wired cabling is far superior to wireless connections. Better bandwidth, more reliable, no need for yet more kit, cheaper and you can see exactly what is connected and where. Plus, you'll still have to run pwoer cables
How about looking into some cable trunking products to tame all the loose wiring?

I'm sure you're right which is why I've put up with it for years... Still, I just feel there must be a better solution and I hate usb/cables. I've just been having a problem with the eq3 which may be due to using a hub with the mount usb (Lynx Astro) and a dslr usb where I was losing the DEC control periodically. I've swapped the dslr connection with the usb mouse so that both the dslr and guide cam are both directly connected to the laptop. I'm hoping that will solve the DEC dropout problem but does nothing for the cable mess. It just seems that having a wireless connection could, in principle, be much better but just need the right equipment to do it with... I'm sure someone must have successfully used wireless connections??

Louise

Primaluce Eagle wireless control box ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/eagle-control-unit-for-telescopes-and-astrophotography.html&ved=2ahUKEwi46YmP87biAhUvQhUIHQtYD_QQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1wx6a0twNJ4AHW7UXI3Krw

You'll have to sell two of your mounts to afford it though .......... 🙂

And presumably one of those micro pc's would do ?

Michael 

45 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Primaluce Eagle wireless control box ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/eagle-control-unit-for-telescopes-and-astrophotography.html&ved=2ahUKEwi46YmP87biAhUvQhUIHQtYD_QQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1wx6a0twNJ4AHW7UXI3Krw

You'll have to sell two of your mounts to afford it though .......... 🙂

And presumably one of those micro pc's would do ?

Michael 

Thanks, but that's a bit ott… There must be a simple passive system that would do the job? Maybe it will have to be a powered hub... Am I right in thinking that if I have a usb3 port on the pc/laptop connected to 3 or 4 usb 2/usb 3 outputs, that would probably work ok without any bandwidth problems? Most of my stuff is usb 2 tho I have a usb 3 qhy183m.

Louise

32 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Why not use a good quality powered USB hub (StarTech) at the scope, with short leads from the gear to the hub. Then you just need a single lead back to the computer.....

Yeah, as mentioned in my previous post. Ideally, though, it would be nice to get rid of a computer to hub wired link but I suppose I'll have to live with it if there's no practical wireless alternative.

Louise

3 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Ideally, though, it would be nice to get rid of a computer to hub wired link but I suppose I'll have to live with it if there's no practical wireless alternative.

Put the computer on the scope then use RDP or other such thing like Teamviewer to operate it ???

NUC's are cheap these days.

Only one wire to worry about!

IMG-1218.thumb.JPG.d882e78d12dd7db360222f0b785aee9a.jpg

IMG-1219.thumb.JPG.f5d1e3ec2f7315a51a464d76f123d12f.jpg

26 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Put the computer on the scope then use RDP or other such thing like Teamviewer to operate it ???

NUC's are cheap these days.

Only one wire to worry about!

As above that's all a bit ott for setups that are only a couple of metres away. I'll probably just setup some hubs

Thanks

Louise

Wireless USB hubs don't exist because of the different bandwidth limits of the technologies.

Depending on the Wireless standard used the maximum practical bandwidth (significantly lower than theoretical maximum) is around 25Mb/s for 802.11g, 100 Mb/s for 802.11n and 300Mb/s for 802.11ac (also called gigabit Wi-Fi because of the theoretical maximum of 1300Mb/s but not achieveable in real life.).

USB2 has a maximum bandwith of 480Mb/s so even Gigabit Wi-fi would struggle with 1 USB2 connection when image downloading.

USB3 mas a maximum bandwidth of 5000Mb/s so is totally incompatible with Wi-Fi.

Alan

3 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Wireless USB hubs don't exist because of the different bandwidth limits of the technologies.

Depending on the Wireless standard used the maximum practical bandwidth (significantly lower than theoretical maximum) is around 25Mb/s for 802.11g, 100 Mb/s for 802.11n and 300Mb/s for 802.11ac (also called gigabit Wi-Fi because of the theoretical maximum of 1300Mb/s but not achieveable in real life.).

USB2 has a maximum bandwith of 480Mb/s so even Gigabit Wi-fi would struggle with 1 USB2 connection when image downloading.

USB3 mas a maximum bandwidth of 5000Mb/s so is totally incompatible with Wi-Fi.

Alan

Yeah, I kindof figured that out but was in denial ha ha

• Like 1