Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

I have used my Star Adventurer for a while now and is very satisfaid with it. But it could be improved and I have installed an angled viewfinder to the polar telescope, rebuilt the wedge, etc.

But there is also the tripod, the one I have now is stable but very big, nothing that I could take with me when traveling. All photagraphy tripods I have looked at that is maximum 0.5 meter long folded look a bit weak or are very expensive. Now I have bought an used Manfrotto model 144, very stable but too long folded. This weekend I cut off the legs to make it shorter. I don't need very high tripod now when using the angled viewfinder.

Here is my tripod project:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-tripod/01-project-star-adventurer-tripod.html

/Lars

• Like 1

I’m curious to know what you have done to the wedge, I have one and the wedge is great as is, care to elaborate?.

Hi Lars,

It is a poor engineering design which is trying to bend the tines of a rigid fork inwards to achieve enough friction.
Your idea of increasing friction with alternative materials seems very sensible.

Plastic would tend to compress under load. So metal shims [spacing washers] make better sense.
The less the tines have to bend inwards the larger will be the friction area.

Harder shims [washers] and a close fit will reduce the tines being forced inwards when tightened.
There is the risk of causing damage by forcing the tines apart while trying to get metal shims in.
They need to fit well rather than spreading the fork tines apart.
So the thickness of the shims is quite critical.

Similar metals have higher friction when rubbed together.
So aluminium might be a good choice for the spacing washers.

Posted (edited)

Great modification, I too use a RA camera viewfinder on my polarscope (never understood why mounts like the SA dont offer them as an option) and that combined with a DSLR with a flip out screen means the whole thing only needs to be a foot or so off the ground. I will have to scout around for a tripod to chop up....

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

6 hours ago, Astrofriend said:

Maybe even better than a flip screen, a remote control operation.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-canon-remote-control/page01-tutorial-canon-remote-control.html

Then I can sit in the car and check the focus. I need to refocus about one or two times per hour if the temperature change.

Lars

Thanks, I do use the Canon camera connect with my DSLR in combination with an intervalometer so best of both like you describe, I find the on screen microfocussing very useful when using camera lenses.

Alan 

I continue with the modifications of the tripod. Now I have remowed the outer legs to have it even more compact and lighter.

See photos:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-tripod/04-project-star-adventurer-tripod.html

They are easy to reinstal if I have a need of them in future.

Thanks for the coments, during the summer I will take a look at the other details. I think I can improve the wedge to be even better. I also need a better function of the adapter to the viewfinder. Now when I know it works very well I can spend more time on it.

Lars

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mark Daniels
      Thought this might be of interest
      made binocular tripod modification to use my25x100 celestrons. The original tripod was redundent so added £30 of steel and bits and it works well. Bit of refining but may be later!

• By starcorral
      My club's Atlas is stuck on the date 11/13/2099.   Last night was 6/28/2019.  Every time I reset the date and started the 3 star alignment the scope chose Vega and then pointed to the western sky - sorta wonky.  When I tried a second star it aimed at a totally wrong part of the sky.  I went back to date and it had reset to the11/13/2099 date.  The mount has a working GPS module.   I went through all the menus and there was no place other than the " sub menu to attempt to replace the errant date.  After five tries I gave up.   Apparently the GPS was accurate to withing a stride or two.  What should I try next?   I know my club; they'd rather stuff it in a corner than take the time or money to fix it.  So it will be m time and my money.  I used the mount several times this year and had no problem.
    • By Lachlan
      Hi everyone, 
      as the title suggests, I've noticed that the RA axis of my HEQ5 pro mount has some give. I don't notice it while the clutch is unlocked, but it's very obvious with a locked RA clutch. Any suggestions on what could be causing it/what adjustments need to be made? 
      Thanks 
    • By Ken Mitchell
      As the title says
      I've finally, after owning a 7nm Baader Ha filter for more than a half year, did my first imaging session in Ha.  My target was the Lagoon Nebula because the weekend before I captured 4.5 hours on it and wanted to see what difference it would make. It's also very bright so easy to locate and it helped my getting focus as well.
      Focus was kind of a challenge as I had to locate the nebula without the filter first ( the Star Adventurer has no GoTo), screw on the filter and take numerous amounts of test shots (max iso at 30sec) to finally get the focus right. Though I still think the focus was a bit off. For some reasons I had problems with the B-mask and focusing will have to do more tests in the future on this.
      That said and done I was ready to start clicking, used settings of iso 1600 and 180sec subs. This was what I saw on the back of the camera after 3 minutes.

Pretty exited! Just the fact that I had something showing up amazed me. Decided to keep the exposure at 3minutes and planned on getting 1 hour of data at least before calling it a night.

Quick info on the gear used here: 
      -Camera: self modded Nikon d90(Ha data), Nikon d610(RGb data)
      -Optics: TS-Optics Photoline 72mm f/6 FPL53+TSflat72
      -Mount: Skywatcher Star Adventurer
      -Guidescope: TS-Optics Optics 50 mm DeLuxe Mini 
      -Guidecamera:  ZWO ASI120MC-S
      -Filters: Baader 7nm 2" Ha 

Back on imaging. After 1hour and 18min I stopped the session, took 10 flats, 10 darks and 20 bias frames and called it a night.
      The day after loaded everything in DSS, imported the stack in Photoshop and did a little stretch on the red channel. This was the result (1hr 18min at iso 1600).

First there is so so much more data than I'd captured the weekend before with my unmodded Nikon d610 and almost x4 as much integration. That was a real excitement!
      Second is a question(s), the diagonal pattern you see is this walking noise? Will dithering remove these lines? and is it even possible to dither with the SA? I've seen the dithering option in PHD2 but not sure if the combination with the Sa works.
      So I've left the noise ,to be hopefully resolved in the future, and tried to combine the Ha with the previous captured RGB.
      The RGB data ,as said before, was captured using a full frame Nikon d610. Aligning the two was kind of a challenge but eventually with all the twisting and turning managed to get it almost perfect.
      This is the fully processed image from ONLY the RGB data the week before. 4.5hrs of data with the unmodded d610.

Combining the datasets I decided to re-edit the RGB set with just a curves and levels stretch and some minor tweaks in Adobe raw. Followed a simple tutorial of changing the red channel of the RGB set with the red channel of the Ha set and adding another Ha layer on top to use as a luminance layer. The result was a bit weird to be honest, green in the background and pretty ugly colors in the nebula. ( I didn't had the original to show so just now I made a quick alignment just to show more or less the results. 

Should it look like this? Hope to find out what caused this.
      Made some tweaks in the channel color mixer in Ps to get rid of the odd colors(in my eyes at least) and did more editing to get a final image. Besides some tweaks here and there I added an extra layer from the RGB set and used 'color' as blending mode.
      This is the result I came up with.

Apart from perfect alignment of both data sets and maybe a better color balance I'd have to say the image itself looks a lot cleaner and more pleasant to the eye.
      Though it seems the image is not as sharp as just the RGB image, maybe that's because it has less stars and it only appears to be more fuzzy?
      Hope to get some input and cc on my workflow and/or the images to improve my results.

Thank you,
      Ken Mitchell

PS. For those interested I've also did some imaging with the unmodded d610 + Ha filter to show the differences and if it is worth it to use a Ha filter with an unmodded dslr. 
      I'll see if I can make a separate thread for this.

• By aramitsharma
      I had bought this in the hope that i will do astro trips more often. Hasn't happened and i use my avx at home. So this is not finding much use. 
      An extremely portable setup, the mount with weight and tripod leg spreader fits in a shoe box. The stock nuts have been replaced by winged nuts for easy grip in the dark.
      One of the tripod's legs suffered a slight damage, but I've taped it well and does not affect its performance. 
      I will include the computer connecting cable as well as polemaster adapter.
      You can read its review here:
      http://www.altairastro.com/public/ioptron/Skyatnight_95_april2013_ioptron_smartEQPRO-review.pdf
      Will prefer pickup from London as the postage may be tricky due to the tripod

£250.00

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.