Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS Optics Herschel Wedge Filter Options

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

You get used to it! It does feel really odd to start with.

Paul

Well, I got in touch with some very experienced solar observers some time ago. Some of them prefer a polarising filter to the solar continuum, a bit like John.

It's really a personal thing. 

The position of the solar continuum filter also matters in my opinion. I prefer it before the ND3 filter as in the Baader Solar Herschel wedge (my favourite) as this reduces reflections. The downside is that it is more permanent, so not ideal if one wants to swap the solar continuum with a single polarising filter back and forth in a session.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John said:

I hardly do much solar observing myself - mostly then it's outreach. I'd get fed up of explaining why the sun was green I think !

Funnily enough that’s one thing that does go through my mind when showing friends and family the Sun. I’d rather have more natural views for them. No one but me seems bothered though so I probably shouldn’t worry. I’m the same with planetary. I was never keen on coloured filters. The Neodymium filter is useful though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Piero said:

The position of the solar continuum filter also matters in my opinion. I prefer it before the ND3 filter as in the Baader Solar Herschel wedge (my favourite) as this reduces reflections. The downside is that it is more permanent, so not ideal if one wants to swap the solar continuum with a single polarising filter back and forth in a session.

I hadn't thought of this, I'll give it a try next time I'm observing the sun.

19 minutes ago, Paz said:

I hadn't thought of this, I'll give it a try next time I'm observing the sun.

In my Lunt 1.25" wedge, the ND3 is installed permanently, and so I cannot fix the SC filter between the prism and the ND. I believe this is the same for the 2" version. The Baader wedge allows one to swap them or even to change the ND3 for imaging (ONLY!) uses.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Piero said:

In my Lunt 1.25" wedge, the ND3 is installed permanently, and so I cannot fix the SC filter between the prism and the ND. I believe this is the same for the 2" version. The Baader wedge allows one to swap them or even to change the ND3 for imaging (ONLY!) uses.

Ahhh, I've got a Lacerta wedge and having just checked the nd3 looks fairly permanent.

59 minutes ago, Piero said:

Once I get the ND3 filter, I can try this with the TS wedge. It has an ND3 element stacked in the same cell as the continuum filter. It’s relatively easy to remove that ND3 element though. With the separate ND3 I can reverse the order and try this. 

12 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Once I get the ND3 filter, I can try this with the TS wedge. It has an ND3 element stacked in the same cell as the continuum filter. It’s relatively easy to remove that ND3 element though. With the separate ND3 I can reverse the order and try this. 

In the Baader wedge the SC is simply screwed before. Make sure the ND3 is in place as that is necessary.

The less amount of reflections is due to to how these filters work. The SC passes a narrow band in the visible spectrum and so most of the light is sent back to the prism. The unfiltered light is them "dimmed" (filtered as Stu explained) by the ND3. This configuration should return the unwanted light to the prism earlier without passing through the ND3.

Edited by Piero
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The ND3 filter arrived yesterday and I managed a quick 2 minute trial this morning before work. I now have a white sun instead of a green one. Not a lot to see. I possibly had some macro granulation though not as clear as with the continuum filter. I think this setup will be great for the Mercury transit. I’m also keeping an eye out for any ISS solar transits. I’m also looking forward to the next AR to see how that compares with just the ND3 filter vs ND3 and Continuum stacked. 

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

You should try a yellow filter. 

This will sound really silly but I'm honestly not sure if this is a serious suggestion. Are yellow filters good for Solar? I wasn't sure if it was a joke due to my fussyness on Sun colour. Really don't mind if it was joke. As my wife says, I have a face for comedy. ;) 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I'm amazed the wedge came without a barrel

Then again my wedge came without an ND filter.

I thought I'd never use a continuum filter but I'm rarely without it now.

The wedge comes with everything required. I was just looking at options to try it without the stacked ND/Continuum filter. Solar is new to me so am having a play to see what I like best :) 

• Like 1

I am fairly new to solar white light, but here are my experiences.

I bought a latest version of the lunt 1.25 inch Herschel Wedge with the built in ND3 filter.

For visual, you need an additional filter otherwise the image is far too bright. I use either a Baader Continuum filter or a Lumicon variable polarizer depending on which colour I fancy viewing in during that session.

For imaging, I use a Baader UV/IR cut filter screwed into the Baader Continuum filter. I tried using just the Continuum filter on its own, but I must have one of the versions with the IR leak as the image looks much better with both filters in tandem. The IR filter is on the outside and the Continuum filter on the inside when screwed into the camera nosepiece.

I tried using an OIII filter before I got the Continuum filter, but fould the Continuum filter gave better results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

I've used UHC and OIII filters too in place of a continuum, seemed to work quite well.

I've got a Zhummel Moon & Skyglow filter that helps improve contrast on Jupiter, but I've never tried it on the sun.  Has anyone tried out an M&SG filter on the sun yet?  I'll have to remember to give it a go the next time I solar observe.

I also have the full set of Optica b/c interference color filters:

1776572995_Opticabcinterferencefiltersdescription1.JPG.03384c7ac659e93d9dad99fb3074cf8d.JPG

1816303487_Opticabcinterferencefiltersdescription2.JPG.3de3028d8859ed979ab7801ea5c70bca.JPG

I'll have to give them a try as well to see if any of them improve contrast.

When I bought my wedge, i wasn't even sure if it was polarized so i bought a variable polarizing filter. Turns out i only needed a single polarizing filter. My wedge cost 140 euros from astronomy.eu in Germany. The ND3, polarizing filter and continuum filters cost another 140 euros.

Live and learn. I thought I was saving money. I should have bought from FLO. 

Anywhoo.....I'm more Ha now than WL.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 30/05/2019 at 14:56, Littleguy80 said:

The wedge comes with everything required. I was just looking at options to try it without the stacked ND/Continuum filter. Solar is new to me so am having a play to see what I like best :) 

I am thinking of getting the same Herschel wedge from TS-Optics and wanted to get your opinion on it since you have owned it for several years now. Did you eventually use the wedge with a plain ND3 instead of the stacked ND3+SC filter or did the stacked one perform better? Also, did you find the sun in white light interesting enough as a long term target?

Edited by terrain_inconnu

7 minutes ago, terrain_inconnu said:

I am thinking of getting the same Herschel wedge from TS-Optics and wanted to get your opinion on it since you have owned it for several years now. Did you eventually use the wedge with a plain ND3 instead of the stacked ND3+SC filter or did the stacked one perform better? Also, did you find the sun in white light interesting enough as a long term target?

I’m still going strong with this wedge though am thinking of upgrading to a Baader Coolwedge at some point. Though that’s a lot more expensive. 

I do have a Baader ND3 filter which gives the traditional white view as opposed to the green with the SC. I do think the SC really helps with contrast, particularly with the granulation. The ND3 just gives a more natural view without the SC filter. 

I really enjoy white light solar and it opens up a lot more opportunities for some astronomy. The sun is a dynamic target so lots to keep it interesting. I paid just over £100 for my wedge second hand and it’s been fantastic value for that. I’ve easily had my money’s worth from it. Recent photo a took through the wedge with my phone. 
IMG_3991.thumb.jpeg.9c8408b4eea96d55c3306915db54fe78.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrain_inconnu said:

I was already sold on this wedge but getting real world feedback always helps to cement the decision. Thanks a ton.

No problem. Let me know how you get on when you get it :) 

• Like 1