Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

baader hyperion

Hey everyone, i am new here and to stargazing i recently purchased a celesteon omni xlt 150 telescope which i love i decided to get good eye pieces so bought a 5 10 and 17 baader hyperion ep issue is they suck the light out of the sky i can barely see anything, are the baader hyperion suited for my scope the view seems a bit messy, if not iis there any recommendations for me?  i am lost at the moment.

It's a F/5 scope which is pretty fast, so Hyperions won't perform best at the edge of the field, but it's probably something else that degrades the view.

What are you trying to look at and what exactly do you mean by "messy view"? Have you collimated your telescope? Did you let it to cool down? Was the seeing bad? Were you observing over roof tops or other objects that may dissipate heat and degrade the view?

• Thanks 1

Well i seen the moon, saturn and Jupiter so now focused on more deep sky objects.. 

I mean by messy is its hard to focus and the light is sucked out of the sky very hard to see any stars.. 

I believe its collimated i have a laser and a Cheshire eye piece that i use together, i have read with this telescope colimation must be very precise.

I did let it cool down the cooling process is quick since its not a rather large dob.. 

15 minutes ago, Jazzo111 said:

I mean by messy is its hard to focus and the light is sucked out of the sky very hard to see any stars..  

Is it possible that it has a two-part cap and you are only removing the inner part?

You mean a dust cap? theres a top and bottom cap and i removed both.. i have a 25mm eye piece that came with the telecope i can see far better through it than these new ones maybe because the magnification is less...

You say you are new to astronomy, so I am wondering have you ever looked at any deep sky objects before, and do you know what you expect to see? Deep sky objects can be hard to see, especially if you have light polluted skies, and higher magnifications can only make the problem worse. Try putting in a low power eyepiece and looking at a some brighter deep sky objects like the great globular cluster M15 or an open cluster. Let us know what you can see.

There is a great thread on what objects look like through the scope:

You may already know this, but hope it's of use if not.

:) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

You say you are new to astronomy, so I am wondering have you ever looked at any deep sky objects before, and do you know what you expect to see? Deep sky objects can be hard to see, especially if you have light polluted skies, and higher magnifications can only make the problem worse. Try putting in a low power eyepiece and looking at a some brighter deep sky objects like the great globular cluster M15 or an open cluster. Let us know what you can see.

There is a great thread on what objects look like through the scope:

You may already know this, but hope it's of use if notmagnification is less...

Edited by Jazzo111

Hmm intereating still it doesnt explain why the light gets aucked out of the sky with these lensss tho.. i just checked colimation and its perfect, any recommended low power eye pieces for this telescope then? I am very lucky im in a village and know many areas that are pitch black with no lignt pollution what so ever .

The 17mm eyepiece gives 44x so is a good low power option. I have Hyperion eyepieces and use them with a 130P Newtonian which is a smaller scope than yours and they give perfectly good results, so the eyepieces are fine, the scope seems fine, the problem must lie elsewhere. To be honest I dont know what you mean when you say the “light gets sucked out of the sky”, the only thing I can suggest is for you to observe some of the brighter well known deep sky objects and describe exactly what you see, and get some feedback on whether what you are seeing is normal or not. Or pop along to your nearest astro club and get someone to look at the scope. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jazzo111 said:

You mean a dust cap? theres a top and bottom cap and i removed both..

Hi Jazzo, just to be clear, you say you removed the top and bottom caps, you know you have to remove the whole large cap and not just the smaller ones?

th.jpg.ef15901f6546ffb59e7cf4d2ef3699fb.jpg

• Haha 1

My focuser is a 1.25-inch - 2-inch Crayford Focuser so shouldn't i be able to unscrew the bottom of my  17 mm baader hyperion and just put it in my focuser without using a 1.25 adapter or anything since the focuser and the eye piece are both 2 inches at this point? 

7 hours ago, Jazzo111 said:

My focuser is a 1.25-inch - 2-inch Crayford Focuser so shouldn't i be able to unscrew the bottom of my  17 mm baader hyperion and just put it in my focuser without using a 1.25 adapter or anything since the focuser and the eye piece are both 2 inches at this point? 

They are best used as 1.25" eyepieces. As Rob says, with the end section and optics removed the performance is not too good (I think they are around 22mm like that) and also they don't become 2 inch eyepieces even if you do use the 2 inch barrel section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are you trying to view? The 25mm that comes with your scope isn't a bad eye piece at all. The Baaders are a good quality eyepiece so very unlikely theres an issue with them. Say you start off with your 25mm and it gives you a nice bright view of a few stars. When you switch to the 10mm or 5mm, contrast does increase in the background sky and the focus point does become more critical. Especially with the 5mm. You should easily focus stars though. Not many DSO will benefit with the 5mm. More magnification doesn't necessarily mean a better view, especially on DSO as they are already faint so increasing the contrast can make it harder to view. The 5mm will be best on the moon and planets, double stars, Trapezium in Orion etc

• Thanks 1

I tried the baader hyperion without the ends pointing at a mountain and they dont work as everyone suggested. These baader hyperions dont work no matter how i use them so i am considering selling them.

The 25mm Plossl that came with the scope works fine good focus and picks up plenty of light stargazing

I seen a review that my telescope will really benefit from a 2" wide field eyepiece and that i should keep the focal length under 35mm, otherwise the exit pupil will be to large and i will lose leight, any suggestions for such a eye peice? 

In conclusion  im sure the issue is with these baader hyperion eyepeices they dont work with my scope however i will try going to a local telescope store if possible to have it looked over just in case 

Not familiar with your Celestron as the only reflector I've owned was a TAL 1 many years ago and never tried premium eyepieces like yourself.  

Sounds to me like you've tried everything with your stock eyepieces and all's good! 

A friend of mine has a Celestron reflector and set of Hyperions and they are longer and chunkier than his stock eyepieces and one thing springs to mind - have you enough travel on your focuser to bring your Baaders into focus? 

I might be totally wrong as I'm still learning myself but it's worth a thought.

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jock1958 said:

Not familiar with your Celestron as the only reflector I've owned was a TAL 1 many years ago and never tried premium eyepieces like yourself.  

Sounds to me like you've tried everything with your stock eyepieces and all's good! 

- have you enough travel on your focuser to bring your Baaders into focus? 

I might be totally wrong as I'm still learning myself but it's worth a thought.

Yep. An eyepiece that works and comes into focus on one scope ,may not in a different type, manufacturer ect of scope. 

I have seen this problem so many times before, sometimes not enough inward travel, sometimes not enough outward travel. A Barlow will help to change the light path and can sometimes help or a diagonal(depending if its a inward or outward focus point problem). Eyepieces can and many do have different focal points to which they come into focus depending on the scope.

Hope this helps 🔭

• Like 1

I sent the eye pieces back this morning the seller accepted a return luckily enough lol i need a true 2 inch wide field eye piece as a replacement, any suggestion fellasss? 

Ps the travel on my scope seems long enough not that i would know how long is optimal 

Edited by Jazzo111

Oh really! I can send a pic later not with the baader hyperion for future reference

Im considering buying this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Explore-Scientific-68-N2-Filled-Eyepiece-28/dp/B01081P4GA/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=explore+scientific+68°+series+eyepiece&qid=1557590402&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Thoughts? i get 20 quid off additionally and free delivery

23 minutes ago, Jazzo111 said:

I sent the eye pieces back this morning the seller accepted a return luckily enough lol i need a true 2 inch wide field eye piece as a replacement, any suggestion fellasss? 

Ps the travel on my scope seems long enough not that i would know how long is optimal 

Trouble is, without knowing what the problem was with the Hyperions, it’s impossible to know whether any alternatives would solve your problem. Personally I wouldn’t risk buying any expensive eyepieces at this point, perhaps a couple of budgets to see if they work before proceeding any further.

Edited by RobertI

2 hours ago, Jazzo111 said:

Hmm yeh i guess your right thats good advise any good budged 2 inch wide field eye pieces with a focal length of under 35mm, i know a place i can get my teleacopeyou checked out monday. Thanks

Depends on your budget. I use the 31mm Nagler but those cost over £500 !

The Explore Scientific 68's and 82's are pretty good as are the Maxvision 2 inch eyepieces if you can find them. The Meade 5000's are the same as the Maxvisions and can be found on the used market for reasonable (ie: a lot less than a Nagler !) prices.

Your scope is F/5 so really low budget wide field eyepieces will show quite a lot of distortion. The ones I've mentioned above are much better than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1