M13 first attempt

AbsolutelyN

13 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Fine image.

Is it just me or DBE is pretty evident in this image? Maybe do something to avoid "tiger stripes" in the background?

Brilliant thanks - I didn't even see those and don't know what they are.  I have to push the brightness up to even see what you mean, perhaps just my screen. I tried 0 gain on this one purely as an experiment (wanted to maximise dynamic range) and I have no calibration files at all for this gain. So that could be the source of the problem. Also first attempt using drizzle ... or perhaps as you say DBE done badly (I could not even see the stripes when processing) so  lots of variables on this image as still learning.  

2 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Brilliant thanks - I didn't even see those and don't know what they are.  I have to push the brightness up to even see what you mean, perhaps just my screen. I tried 0 gain on this one purely as an experiment (wanted to maximise dynamic range) and I have no calibration files at all for this gain. So that could be the source of the problem. Also first attempt using drizzle so  lots of variables on this image as still learning.  

For a moment I thought those are related to dynamic background extraction in PI, but if you did not do it, it can't be related to that. My guess was based on dark patches around bright stars and assumption that algorithm tried to compensate for light scatter around bright stars and went a bit too much in that.

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

For a moment I thought those are related to dynamic background extraction in PI, but if you did not do it, it can't be related to that. My guess was based on dark patches around bright stars and assumption that algorithm tried to compensate for light scatter around bright stars and went a bit too much in that.

Sorry - I did indeed do DBE so quite likely the issue as I must admit I find controlling DBE rather baffling at present. All part of the learning curve - I would likely never have even spotted them if you'd not pointed it out so thanks. Need to spend more time understanding the DBE controls better.   

Archived