Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13, my first Globular!

Seanelly

My first globular cluster, and though it may leave something to be desired, I have shown myself that progress toward better imaging and processing is a reality.

60x1m subs at 800i with 60 each of darks, flats and bias from DSS to Photoshop, taken with the modded Canon T6i and imaging gear listed below.

1549869164_M13-4-11-19PS1.1JPEGCropped.thumb.jpg.be97e4dceed313a538b6ae63330e4155.jpg

58 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Very nice indeed!

43 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Lovely image. Very crisp. Good colour too. You've caught spiral galaxy NGC 6207 too if I'm not mistaken. 

Thanks for the boost. I think I tried to get too much out of it? It didn't look this cooked before I converted it to jpeg here.

6 minutes ago, Seanelly said:

Thanks for the boost. I think I tried to get too much out of it? It didn't look this cooked before I converted it to jpeg here.

Not really. Although I believe one should master fine art of "stretching the data only to the point it allows", I'm personally not so much bothered by noise floor visible in this particular image.

Sometimes not pushing too much of noise reduction gives image that "sciency" feel. There is noise in captured data and sometimes it just shows. As long as it is not pushed too far, I think it is ok.

16 hours ago, Seanelly said:

My first globular cluster, and though it may leave something to be desired, I have proven to myself that I'm slowly progressing toward better imaging and processing.

60x1m subs at 800i with 60 each of darks, flats and bias from DSS to Photoshop, taken with the modded Canon T6i and imaging gear listed below.

1549869164_M13-4-11-19PS1.1JPEGCropped.thumb.jpg.be97e4dceed313a538b6ae63330e4155.jpg

can i be cheeky, is there any chance i could have one of your raw subs to compare against my own camera. 

46 minutes ago, Seanelly said:

A single raw 60s sub at 800i.

IMG_3454.CR2 24.48 MB · 0 downloads

thanks, im getting banding on my images and at the moment cant see them when i stretch yours. not sure now if its a setting, capture software or something else causing it. damned annoying, i know that. 

what capture software do you use? whats the connection setup you have? 

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

thanks, im getting banding on my images and at the moment cant see them when i stretch yours. not sure now if its a setting, capture software or something else causing it. damned annoying, i know that. 

what capture software do you use? whats the connection setup you have? 

I do see banding when I super-stretch the combined image, but banding in general was much worse before I got my DSLR settings and flats situation in order. I now use Daylight white balance during imaging, and switch DSLR to AV before taking flats, and check histogram. Works great for me.

I'm not using capture software, the laptop is only for guiding PSD2. I got so used to initially setting up with DSLR settings, focus and remote shutter release that I'm sticking with it for the time being.

1 minute ago, Seanelly said:

I do see banding when I super-stretch the combined image, but banding in general was much worse before I got my DSLR settings and flats situation in order. I now use Daylight white balance during imaging, and switch DSLR to AV before taking flats, and check histogram. Works great for me.

I'm not using capture software, the laptop is only for guiding PSD2. I got so used to initially setting up with DSLR settings, focus and remote shutter release that I'm sticking with it for the time being.

maybe i'll try the old school method with intervalometer and see what happens. 

this is what i get when stretching

image.thumb.png.3aedaeab6d1bc613858f760755d6636e.jpg.3be86d1aca5f13b3959d109f8f01ca38.jpg

This is from the live-screen view:

white balance daylight

raw image

noise reduction off (in-camera setting)

picture style A

auto-correct bright/con off

filters off

metering mode evaluate metering

I can only tell you what my limited experience has been: Changing the DSLR from Auto to Daylight and adding a string of good flats let me stretch the last two images I've tried it on much further. I hope something in this helps.

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

I love it, its a great glob shot, pinpoint stars and a spiral to boot, icing on the cake, i'll jump for joy if my first glob is that good.

Thanks aplenty. After the trouble I had getting 17 hour M81-M82 into at least respectable condition I was holding my breath on this one, and almost could literally since the exposure time was so short compared to the other. I'm definitely selecting shorter exposure subjects for a while longer until I get a better handle on all things astrophoto related! 

Archived