Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 102 AZ Pronto - Unboxing, Setup & Initial thoughts

Hello ,

As some might know, FLO are very kindly loaning me a series of beginner telescopes to review (one every two months if all goes well!)...what a wonderful thing! Anyway, the first scope arrived last week, and I've decided to try and do two reviews for each scope; an unboxing, setup & initial thoughts review, and a more long term in use review, with pros and cons for  the beginner and the more experienced astronomer.

A big thank you to FLO :headbang: and Coffee :happy2:

Link to telescope below:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-pronto/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-pronto.html

Here is the first of these reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1HNQqmUGE

I'm not sure why the video isn't inbedded? 

AZ Pronto looks soooo portable! Wonder if it would be 'okish' with 127 mak :D

Now, the wobble you experienced can be sorted by tightening tripod legs and head connecting screws.....surprisingly stable afterwards. I didn't try to move the spreader higher yet but I would assume further improvements can be made.

All in all 102 mak was actually one of the more easy and joyous OTAs I used :)

1 hour ago, heliumstar said:

AZ Pronto looks soooo portable! Wonder if it would be 'okish' with 127 mak :D

Now, the wobble you experienced can be sorted by tightening tripod legs and head connecting screws.....surprisingly stable afterwards. I didn't try to move the spreader higher yet but I would assume further improvements can be made.

All in all 102 mak was actually one of the more easy and joyous OTAs I used :)

Being very careful (as it's got to go back), I'll see if I can gently tighten things up a bit. 

First impressions and the 102Mak seems to suits the pronto mount well, so I would think the 127 would be ok, maybe pushing things a little at most. A tripod upgrade would no doubt make a big difference if you did want to try out the pronto mount.

Yeah, I was expecting it to be a light setup, but it really IS light! The mount initially appears to be a very good option for grab and go if weight and ease of use is anything to go by. Much better than the AZ3 with it's annoying hard stops. 

10 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Very nice initial review Chris, some nice humorous moments too!

hehe thanks, Rob, I'm testing the water with my weird sense of humour...might add more of that kind of thing ?

Good unboxing report Chris. I don't know why but I'm surprised how simple the Pronto is compared to the Avant. The stiffness I encountered when I first had the Avant is clearly also there in the Pronto, maybe even a little more so from the video. Looking forward to see how it all works out in practice.

Archived