Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Note taking whilst observing.

I use a simple college lined spiral notebook each year, usually have plenty of pages to do the basics like Sky transparency, date time, object/object location, optical log for each target and other notes too self. I also jot down wants, needs, fixes, tricks, cheats and other noteworthy equipment realated things like Mirror and objective cleaning dates and a (private) log on purchases if you know what I mean.

This does indeed help prevent making the same mistakes twice and gives at least some shorthand record of observing history as well its the last place my wife will ever look ?

Best of Luck Miles,

Freddie...

Interesting topic.
I usually rely on memory and post my observations here on SGL but the last two sessions I've tried to be more organised. Firstly I printed off an observing list and made notes against each item. Last night as I was only going to observe the moon I took my clipboard with an attached piece of A4 and noted what I was seeing. Both records were posted in the appropriate section.

My notes change over time. Sometimes is just the objects I see. If I've seen them a few times I might not mention them unless I have a comment. I always write a new object and underline it and usually unsuccessful objects. I might draw how to star hop to a difficult object. At the moment, apart from new objects, I find it interesting to add a comment to help me remember the night. For example, I saw a hedgehog or a car pulled up and a man got out and stared at me.

I don't write it when I'm observing but the next day (Stellarium helps me remember). I might not bother, in fact when I filled up my book at the end of the year I didn't immediately replace it but then I got confused about which new Orion doubles I'd split and which I'd failed at, so I caught up. 

Go for it. You can't do it wrong. At the very least it helps you remember what you've seen and it can stop you making the same mistake twice. Contemplation is a big part of this hobby and this adds another layer.

WIN_20190313_10_49_26_Pro.jpg

I keep brief notes and find them useful to refer back to. Sometimes I will make sketches or mark positions of comets/asteroids. I record variable star observations to submit to the BAA and AAVSO.

Keeping an observing log is a good way of honing your observing skills and memory. I don't do it at the eyepiece but the next morning without fail, including sometimes with brief sketches of what I saw. I've filled several sketch books with logs over many years. SkySafari and/or other star atlas helps to fill in details.

I’ve just started keeping a log, which I’m writing as I observe.  It’s really slowing me down, which I think is a good thing.  For now I’m noting date and time, estimating seeing and transparency, any notes that are seeming relevant, and some (very average quality) sketches of what I’m observing.  Later I use Stellarium or Sky Safari to add in star names.

Date; time; general description of the observing conditions; object; eyepiece; notes on the appearance of the object and anything else that seems relevant; occasionally I'll make a sketch, but I'm no artist.

Sometimes I'm more diligent than others. I take fewer notes when it's cold out. :)

20190313_105335.jpg

2 hours ago, Miles said:

Great, thanks everyone! I have an old dictaphone knocking around, so I can make verbal notes with that and write them up in the morning.

That seems a great idea, I've considered using the voice recorder on my phone. Seems much easy than scribbling notes at the eyepiece. Note to self;- "Must give this a try"

Archived