Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150i computerised scope WiFi

I think it  would make  it a lot easier with finding Planets,galaxies etc to just put in the object's in the solar system,anything to 

help find  things quickly,would it be a advantage ? £375 seems a good buy.

More into imaging rather than observing myself, but broadly speaking,  F5 is good for observing galaxies and nebulae, which are large dim objects, an F10 Refractor or F12 Maksutov better for planets, which are bright tiny objects.

GoTo mounts can be confusing to set up at first, but make it easier to find objects once you've mastered that.

Michael  

Edited by michael8554

I agree, it is a lot of scope for the money. A 6” scope can reveal many night sky objects and is a good starting point.

This new Wi-fi version is the same scope as the old “star discovery 150p” (except that one had a hand controller instead of Wi-fi). Here are some threads discussing what is essentially the same scope

There are 9 customer reviews on the Harrison website of the newer version

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-star-discovery-150p-telescope.html

You will need a phone or tabled to use the telescope, you download and install the skywatcher SynScan app - download it now (it’s free) and have a play with it...

Your other option in this price range (with goto) is the skywatcher AZ gti, which is their latest mount.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

if you decide that you don’t fancy Wi-fi and prefer a handset then there is this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-explorer-130p-synscan-az-goto.html

Once you get the hang of the 2-star alignment process (may take a couple of nights) then it’s essentially a case of enter an object and there it is.

DO test out your scope in the daylight when you get it to familiarise yourself with focusing and what the different eyepieces do (JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE SUN).

You will also need to budget for a power pack, batteries give inconsistent current and cause mounts to behave strangely.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html

And do consider buying the book “turn left at Orion”, it’s shows all the brightest objects with sketches of how they will appear in a small scope.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/turn-left-at-orion-book.html

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen

On 08/03/2019 at 10:38, KAYCE said:

Just looking at the above scope would this be a good scope to go for ? gratefull for any comments.thanks.

Here's a review or run through of the original version with the handset. Might be of use :) 

• Like 2

I really like this mount, I think it is an often overlooked gem. I did a fair amount of research for portable mounts in this price bracket and I really couldn't find much to not like about it. Probably echoing the above review video review, but the things that I really like were:

• Very sturdy tripod, much better than tripods on the Celestron equivalent mount, an excellent feature not to be underestimated.
  • Freedom find, which means you can undo the clutches on the axes manually to move the scope and not lose your goto alignment.
  • The ability to still use the mount manually (by pushing the scope) without power - I've no experience of how usable this is in practice, but if it is usable I think it makes the mount very versatile indeed, and still useable if you are struggling to get the hang of goto.

As for the scope, 150mm / 6" is a very good size and you will see plenty. Apparently this model scope does NOT need collimating (aligning the mirrors) which is very useful indeed if you are a beginner. On mounts of this size I would say that this sized telescope is pretty big and possibly pushing it, but with the excellent tripod, I would say it should be fine.

So in summary I think you wont find much better in my humble opinion. As always though if you are a complete beginner, I would recommend getting to know the sky with the naked eye and a pair of binouclars and a good astronomy book or app, learn the main constellations and the brightest stars. You will then be more confident whenyou come to use your scope. Have fun! 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am looking for same model even though I had delivery of 150p Heritage today.

No clear sky  here yet ,so  still not decide  which is the suitable,first scope for my needs.

Kayce -did you buy this model 150pi?

If so what is it like in terms of  new scope for a beginner?

1 hour ago, Beardy30 said:

I’d be interested to know how this mount compares to the AZI GTI 

They have the same 5kg capacity, but the AZ-GTi can also operate in equatorial mode, meaning it has gained some traction as an entry-level imaging mount.

• Like 2