Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A suprisingly decent Mars image!

Pete Presland

Some reasonable seeing and excellent altitude, compared to last summer, resulted in my best Mars image for quite a while.

Considering how far away Mars now is, I am delighted to see some decent surface detail visible.

The usual set up, C9.25, Asi290mm and a 742 Proplanet filter. I did try the Asi224mc, but the view looked pretty poor.

1281557764_2019_02_2718.37742proplanet.png.f34a9084cee98ffadbc24c588a4301a3.png

Good show, Pete. You got some good detail there. I think I've finally stopped trying to image Mars now as I seem to get diminishing returns. I'll just enjoy observing it for now, lol.

Reggie

That's excellent Pete, I gave up on Mars months ago and not sure how much if any planetary imaging I'll do this year with Saturn and Jupiter so low. I'll probably take a look, but think that I will mainly focus on some summer DSOs this year as I haven't imaged those for a while with the scope dedicated to the planets the last couple of summers.

Geof

That's a great view! Even at this enormous distance Mars continuous to show its handsome features.  The perceptual phase is a big bonus. 

Altogether an excellent image. Congratulations!

Archived