Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead and Flame region in HaRGB

Laurin Dave

The Horsehead Nebula (B33) Flame Nebula (NGC2024) with IC434 and NGC2023.  Captured between 14 Jan and 10 Feb in the gaps between the seemingly incessant clouds over Berkshire.  Esprit 150, SX-46, Mesu200.  4hrs Ha and 2hrs each of RGB processed in Pixinsight (calibration, registration, integration and noise reduction) and Photoshop (Ha added to Red with blend mode lighten).

Comments welcome, thanks for looking

Dave

Horsehead_Esprit150_SX-46.thumb.png.2d69a8efdd7e7c9f9f9071aa9db7bcfc.png

Hi Dave. That looks great. I'd love to see the rgb only as i think maybe you've lost the colour in the flame. I know this happened to me when i added ha to mine, i ended up adding the ha at a lower opacity as it gave the image an overall red cast and i also omitted it from the flame as there's a lovely yellow and blue  area in rgb only.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions, here it is again this time a little less red and with the PI dark structure enhance script run (definitely  does what it says on the tin).  Main processing difference is that I split the channels in Photoshop (still learning) rather than in Pixinsight and this resulted in the Flame retaining almost all of its RGB colour when the Ha was added.

Dave

Horsehead_Ha_RGB_DarkScript.thumb.png.c949e59867c7ad30a1f9ce178dbe59d8.png

Hi Dave - excellent image.

As an experiment, in Pixinsight, run the ColourMask script set for 'red' and then protect the image exposing the red.  Then use LocalHistogramEqualisation at its default values but with amount set to 0.15 and see what happens - it will help bring out the varying gaseous structures in the wash of red hydrogen emission behind the HH as well as the rolling structures below the HH in the darker dusty regions.

54 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Hi Dave - excellent image.

As an experiment, in Pixinsight, run the ColourMask script set for 'red' and then protect the image exposing the red.  Then use LocalHistogramEqualisation at its default values but with amount set to 0.15 and see what happens - it will help bring out the varying gaseous structures in the wash of red hydrogen emission behind the HH as well as the rolling structures below the HH in the darker dusty regions.

Thanks Barry, I'll give that a go.

Dave

Archived