Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Pro mount advice please

mckinnell

Hi all, Have an NEQ6 Pro sync scan mount, can any one give me advice on the easiest and best way to a line the mount to Polaris using the Polar scope or other; i do not want to use the other software that is out their, i require to use the hand control, and, have a smartphone to locate the correct position of Polaris, but, one problem that did not occur to me till i got the telescope and mount and that is, im find it very difficult to get down to a position to view re the Polar scope, this is because of spin problems and other things, i am 65 and been in heavy lifting most of my working life so i guess it has court up with me lol lol.

I have looked at a camera that can be fixed onto the upper end of the Polar scope, but, the cost after getting my telescope has made this kind of article way out of my purchasing, so, with all this, i hope some of you out there can help and advise as to the best way to go about it, there seems to be as many views as there are people, but as i say, i look forwards to some advice in this matter.

My regards and best to all,                     Tom.......

Like you I  always use the handset to control the mount and was reluctant to go down the road of any form of control via a pc.  However am all for making polar alignment both easy and accurate so after reading some excellent reviews of a piece of software called 'Polemaster' I took the plunge and have never looked back.  What a brilliant bit of software it is, can't recommend it enough and of course it doesn't get in the way of using the handset.  There are some very good user instructions written I think by Steve Richards but the on screen directions at every step are also very easy to follow.

Annie

You can adapt one of these to make it easier, a diy mod with plastic plumbing fittings usually unless you have access to a 3D printer.

Dave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neewer-1X-2-5X-Right-Angle-Finder-for-Canon-Nikon-and-Other-Digital-SLR-Cameras/254059732060?hash=item3b2723dc5c:g:TJ0AAOSwgotcNbwl:rk:2:pf:0

Hi there, do you use a guide scope?

If so, a bit of software called SharpCap will get you PA'ed very easily using your laptop. Only thing you need to do is rotate the mount on its RA axis and adjust the bolts accordingly. You get the full version free with a guide camera or I think it is £10/year. Never used the Polar Scope and get PA that seems really good...get 3-4 mins unguided with it.

Good luck,

Tom.

Hi Tom

Are you going to be observing or imaging? If you are just observing then PA is really not that important and as long as you are roughly there it should be fine. I know you say it is difficult to use the polarscope but if you can manage to get it roughly done once you can make up a diy bit of kit to get you there next time more easily. I used a piece of wood that I could clamp in the mount and using a sharpe marked its position in the mount then used small cable clips and lined up a few so you could see polaris through them. 

The next time you set up just get polaris in the sight and off you go.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, as i say, my problem is getting down to view through the scope actual, my spine just does not like it and, by god, does it let me know, !!! lol, this is the area that i am needing the help as for any thing i can use as for this process.

Regards to all,             Tom..........

Sadly you are a bit too far... 
I would come to help...

If you plan to use the scope for visual only, -  you do not need a very precise Polar alignment and  you can try a trick I used when I was not able to see the Polaris.... by attaching the smartphone to the mount in the place of PA scope.

It will allow roughly polar align during a day time.

I used Android Stellarium app for this task, do not forget to twist and rotate the phone to adjust the magnetic sensors (I even walked around for few minutes with app ON to settle it for more accuracy, - not sure if it helped... I tried to avoid all inaccuracies possible).

Short manual is below, - you will get the idea, - "simples" :)

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/daylight-polar-alignment/ 

If you can mark the location of the feet of your tripod, then you'll be roughly aligned if you just repeat the setup in the same location next time. I plonk my mount in the same place each time and can get it within a degree just by eyeballing it.

Thanks guys, its a problem when you get older and your movement starts to get impaired but that's life i guess, while your still breathing etc etc, lol!!!, i have scene that idea of placement marking and i intend to do just the same good shout, are well, while the weather here is foul, i can still work on ways to help myself, but, should any one get any more great idears PLEASE, let me know, i am very grateful to all of you.

My very best regards and thanks,                Tom......

Archived