NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteor explode? (allsky camera capture)

hi

Been using the Allskycam to record nights where cloud free (rarity!), captured this via allsky camera on 31st Jan 19 circa 3.04am UK time, my best guess on this is a meteor or space debris burning up / exploding....reason I say this is there is what appears to be a smoke cloud after the white object appears. Subs are 15secs, have included a video and couple of frames (have original FIT files too if anyone interested).

See video @27secs 

Welcome any views

J

Oculus-2019-01-31T03-04-01-820.png

Oculus-2019-01-31T03-04-17-760.png

Oculus-2019-01-31T03-04-33-693.png

Oculus-2019-01-31T03-04-49-630.png

Oculus-2019-01-31T03-05-05-572.png

Oculus-2019-01-31T03-05-21-519.png

Oculus-2019-01-31T03-05-37-460.png

6 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

thanks for comments, been a while since caught something more unique, wish had shorter frames so could have had more detail!

Do you watch it all back and find the meteor or does your software save that frame?

depends if subs are 3s or 15s ;) so far Ive always watched back as interesting to see all the 'action' in the skies - mostly planes unfortunately! I use Allskeye software that captures and it does have an auto find function, although havent tried it as yet. I use JPEGview to flick through png frames using mouse wheel, takes about 5-10mins depending how slow i go. there is also a video creation function that autogenerates a video which you can configure for FPS, hence the attached mini video

On 02/02/2019 at 14:47, jam1e1 said:

depends if subs are 3s or 15s ;) so far Ive always watched back as interesting to see all the 'action' in the skies - mostly planes unfortunately! I use Allskeye software that captures and it does have an auto find function, although havent tried it as yet. I use JPEGview to flick through png frames using mouse wheel, takes about 5-10mins depending how slow i go. there is also a video creation function that autogenerates a video which you can configure for FPS, hence the attached mini video

Thanks Jamie.  I've just started using UFOcaptureV2 - it auto records when an event triggers it.  I was thinking about setting up an all sky camera and using the Allskeye software but my cameras are not compatible.  I really like the images you are getting though.

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Jamie.  I've just started using UFOcaptureV2 - it auto records when an event triggers it.  I was thinking about setting up an all sky camera and using the Allskeye software but my cameras are not compatible.  I really like the images you are getting though.

thanks, just to add the software captures all frames then marks up ones if you select the identify function. I like the detail captured in your setup, been doing reading around on it and seen some people have 2-3 cameras set up due to limited FoV, hence more opportunity to capture meteors!

10 hours ago, happy-kat said:

What camera are you using please?

starlight xpress oculus all sky camera https://www.sxccd.com/oculus-all-sky-camera given that its quite light polluted in my area pleased the level of detail it can capture

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2019 at 20:58, Alan White said:

I think after a meteor burns you get an after glow from what I have been told.

Hope someone with real knowledge comes to this thread soon.

Great capture.

Some meteors do leave an ion trail. It depends on the make-up of the meteor.

Archived