Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 - my first attempt

Petergoodhew

Hope you don't mind me being maybe a bit harsh with this comment, but something is odd with the image - it feels softer than it should be.

I took a closer look and indeed, there are some artifacts, can't really say if its due to focus issues or processing, but here it is:

image.png.d80cb941538129be10ac1beb0adb6f5a.png

48 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Hope you don't mind me being maybe a bit harsh with this comment, but something is odd with the image - it feels softer than it should be.

I took a closer look and indeed, there are some artifacts, can't really say if its due to focus issues or processing, but here it is:

image.png.d80cb941538129be10ac1beb0adb6f5a.png

Thanks VLAV.  Well spotted!  I check it out.  Peter

Yes, I'm not convinced by the focus either but here in SE France we have recently had seeing so bad that I have scarcely been able to believe it. Also the small aperture will tend to throw up larger stars. (The Tak was giving an FWHM of 2.3 when it often comes down to 0.88.)

Jetstreams in the wrong place, I guess.

Olly

On 20/01/2019 at 17:21, ollypenrice said:

Yes, I'm not convinced by the focus either but here in SE France we have recently had seeing so bad that I have scarcely been able to believe it. Also the small aperture will tend to throw up larger stars. (The Tak was giving an FWHM of 2.3 when it often comes down to 0.88.)

Jetstreams in the wrong place, I guess.

Olly

You were right not to be convinced Olly. I was also getting FWHM of 2.3 on the Star71 - but that doesn't explain the softness, nor does poor focus. Careless clumsy processing is the explanation!  Have reprocessed the luminance from scratch. I think this is an improvement.

M31 jpg V3.jpg

Yes, this is better.

Dust lanes definition improvement is noticeable. Still quite a lot softness, but as Olly pointed out - is probably due to seeing (and having tough time trying to focus in poor seeing), and not much can be done about that.

Archived