Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to record my activities?

Steve922

As a brand new observer, I thought it might be nice to record my observing sessions, plans, etc. from day one (which was yesterday.)

I've searched around and can't find any posts about methods of recording, so I thought I'd ask how others do it.

I'd like to record what I looked for, what I saw, my impressions at the time, what I looked up later (about what I saw in the session) what I need to learn about, what I want to look into further, etc. My first thought is to just keep a Word or Excel document, updating it whenever.

Can anyone give me any pointers of a better method? In this computer age, I feel there night be a better way! :D

Steve

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info and link, Martyn. I've taken a look at the site but I'm wondering if that would be of much use to me. I don't have a telescope and its mainly the recording of what I saw, thought, jotting down notes, etc. (above). Would it be any better for me than say, Excel?

Steve

I'm a huge fan of Astroplanner (there's a major upgrade on it's way which promises to make the application much easier to use amongst other things) as well but in your situation I'd probably use a notebook as suggested. You can always transcribe your notes onto another system at a later date.

James

I have an observing journal. Clear pages to allow for sketches (WHSmith, A5). I write down the conditions, scope and targets in there and then use it to write up a report as soon as possible, so it's fresh in my mind. Of course, a target-ordered spreadsheet might be easier to reference, but out in the field you need to write things down there and then or you may end up forgetting/making up stuff!

Andrew

Thanks guys, nice idea about the notebook. I'll sort something out for tonight. Any tips on how to see clearer what I'm writing? It takes a LONG time for my eyes to adjust to the dark.

I did use an A4 sheet and a Sharpie marker last night to draw an arrangement or two of what I saw ( so I could look it up later in the house) but it was rough and drawn mainly 'blind.' I might be struggling to write something legible like this. OTOH, I was quite surprised when I compared with my books just how accurate the drawings turned out to be!

Steve

Me too, Andy. It's much easier to speak at the eyepiece than it is to write.

:D Hi Steve, I have an Olympus digital recorder (VN-3100PC) and absolutely love it. It has a 'player' on the computer which enables transfer and storage of files. That way, you can keep your session files forever or delete them after transcribing them to a logbook (which is what I do).

If you'd rather not go digital, there are mini-cassette recorders available. Same as with the digital, you can keep or delete the session notes after transcribing them into a logbook.

"IF" you have a pda or smartphone you could take a look at Astromist. I can't give you a full review as I have only just aquired this but I am well impressed so far, The manual which you can download for free spans some 136 pages and I note that the ability to import Astroplanner data is included. As well as providing in real time a sky chart of available objects (and virtual Telrad overlay) it also provides the ability to record observing notes and input sky conditions etc. The display can be switched to night mode at 3 different brightness levels which should preserve your dark adaption. I did a search for this on SGL and was surprised to find zero results surely someone else here is using this what with bluetooth telescope control and all, not that I wanted that bit, but it is an unbelievably good piece of software for a reasonable price (IMHO). Now where was i...oh yes page 62.... :D

Brympton,

I have Astromist on a PDA and it looks the business but I haven't got to know it very well so far. The observing report function seems pretty good but I don't get along with typign on the PDA.

Astromist on a PDA can eliminate any need for a laptop when you're observing though.

Must get the full version.....

Andrew

The observing report function seems pretty good but I don't get along with typign on the PDA

Me neither, but have you tried it? It's just a click and select job in the main for all the parameters. You do have to type in the object and brief comments (or maybe voice record the comments?) but these can be embelished later if you export the CSV file to Excel. Still on the learning curve but it all seems very well thought out....up to page 112 now :D

Paper - I too use an A4 hardback notebook and just note date, time, seeing, LP, equipment used, magnification and what I've looked at.

I normally make really bad sketches - a circle with a couple of bands for Jupiter and dots for each of the moons I've seen, with names (I'm no artist, but hey, it's for personal consumption!).

I also use the tempaltes that come on the S@N cover disc too - very helpful if you can't draw!

I've recently started recording my observations and usually just use a notepad and type it up into a wordprocessor later. The voice recorder sounds like an interesting idea. I downloaded Astroplanner the other day and it looks very capable but it did take me a while to start finding my way around it. It will be interesting to see what the upgrade that James mentions will bring. I've tried using a PDA as a notepad before and found that what took me several minutes to type in using little fiddly buttons and touch pen even in ordinary daylight would probably have taken just a few seconds with a simple pencil and notepad.

• 3 weeks later...

I've kept a journal for about 5 years now. I like the plastic-covered A5 spiral bound notebooks that W H Smith sell for around £3.99 (often £1.99 on offer).

I use Astroplanner as a DSO/double star observing planning tool. It's a very good planner. The learning curve is a bit steep, but it's worth the effort.

The observation logging function on the present version of astroplanner (version 1.6x) is okay, but I'm really waiting for version 2, which will have a kick-ass logging function. I'll still use my paper journal, but will duplicate most sessions on astroplanner. The only thing astroplanner doesn't do a particularly good job on is lunar observations . There is currently no facility for planning or logging individual lunar features.

I'm waiting for version 2 with bated breath as well. Astroplanner is also the only program I've found that happily links direct from my MacBook into my EQ6 Pro. I can't get Starry Night and others to work...

James

Archived