SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10x50 binos for astronomy recommendations ?

Hi

wanted to get some binos for family star parties and travel and was looking for some 10x50 bins for around£100.

I have my dads old 20x50 which are good but too heavy to hold and the 20x is rather too much for hand holding.
My old 10x30s have a good field, easy to hold due to weight and 10x,  but would like more  light and the rubber coating has gone all sticky (despite my efforts at cleaning it off).

Anyway - so I thought some light 10x50s would be a good mix for family star parties and the odd spotting on holidays and travel.

Some family wear glasses so that's a consideration.

Any recommendations for some decent light 10x50s (or thereabouts) for around £100 please ?
The 10x50 seems to be a popular size on many of the binos postings.

Thanks

For a long time I've really enjoyed these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios-binoculars/helios-naturesport-plus-50mm-binoculars.html

Doesn't show a lot of false color, and the built quality of the binocular is also quite good. Smooth eye cups and focuser wheel. It's also able to just show the moons of Jupiter.

I would second what mark81 posted yesterday. The Olympus DPSi 10x50 are ideal for viewing and passing the time while my telescope and DSLR are tied up imaging. At 10x they have pretty good magnification and a decent field of view but are also light enough to hold steady. If this is still not possible for some, you can fit a ‘L’ bracket and set up onto a tripod or monopod. I bought mine for £60 from Amazon about a month ago.

On 13/01/2019 at 10:29, Victor Boesen said:

For a long time I've really enjoyed these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios-binoculars/helios-naturesport-plus-50mm-binoculars.html

Doesn't show a lot of false color, and the built quality of the binocular is also quite good. Smooth eye cups and focuser wheel. It's also able to just show the moons of Jupiter.

I have a pair of the Naturesport 10x50's and they are very good for astronomy. The build and optical quality is pretty nice for their cost as well.

The Helios Natursport 8x40's are my favourites, and if they're anything to go by, then the 10x50's should be just as good, with more mag, but a tad less field of view.
For my 10x50's I opted for the Strathspey Marine 10x50.  They have separate eye focusing, the depth of view is  good.
Stargazing to scanning across the Moray Firth, I don't need to touch the focusing once set.

decision time - Ive got my short list:
Helios Naturesport £85 at Flo (best buy Sky at Nigt .. not sure when)
Opticron Adventurer TWP £79 at Flo (get a good review at Binocular Sky in 2017)
Olympus DPS-1 £65 at Amazon 

There seems to be a version of the Opticron Adventurer (Adventurer II WP) that is waterproof and N filles going for £100-ish , that has a 55deg fov)
Did think about the Pentax and the Ostaria Elinor (S@N group test 2010) , but rather keep at or under £100 if I can)

thanks for the comments.

New down to Helios Naturesport vs Optocron Adventurer TWP...
Family star party at the weekend so Id better get on with it ?

Roof vs. Porro for the Opticrons? 

I can vouch for the Naturesport even though I have the 8x40’s. The Stars will look just the same in either 8x40 or 10x50, but the 8x40 WA has a greater field of view, and both optics will be just as bright given their exit pupil of 5mm, and easier to hold/steady at ‘only’ 8x mag, for some folk, but I still mount mine when I can  

Decisions............decisions!!!!

Ive gone for the Opticron Adventurer T-WP 10x50, based on the review was more recent, (2017 vs references from 2008 for S@N) - and I could find it, the reviewer wears glasses, it says they are waterproof, I could find a figure 18mm for the eye relief vs 'long', and it was slightly cheaper. 
So that will be another box of clouds to open  I expect ?
There probably isn't much in it -as long as the family bods can use it.

I was tempted by the larger focus wheel, twist up eyecups, and ribbed grips of the Helios.

Archived