Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Tuning - What all should I have done?

Peje

I've finally accepted the fact that I'll never have time to service / belt mod my mount so I'm going to get a local telescope expert to do it.

I'm trying to find out what parts I could / should be ordering, My initial list looks like:

- Rowan Belt Mod kit with bearing puller.
- Spare Belts
- Upgraded Grease
- Mount casing 're-profile' to give more clearance for belts.
- Super / Hyper-tuning [This Astro-baby guide seems like a good place to start]

Is there anything else worth doing?

Thanks in advance,
Pete.

13 minutes ago, Hailfire101 said:

While it's all apart.... Could repaint if needed. :)

Also, why not fit the Modern Astronomy rail mod, while it's all apart. 

Can you share more info on the modern astronomy rail mod?

7 minutes ago, Peje said:

Thanks for sharing.

Not a chance I'll be buying it, it's a complete rip-off.

Don't be too hasty Pete, it avoids some of the nasty things that can happen to the standard setup, bent bolt, stripped thread and even complete failure of the casting.
Made one of these for someone to repair stripped thread in the casting, this is stainless steel prototype, remade in brass.

Dave

2036284419_EQ6bush.thumb.jpg.d34eee4e4ec15388227aa33591947c6c.jpg

My objection is how much they are charging for something that costs very little to make and didn't take significant investment to design. That part is almost 15% of the price of the entire mount, they are clearly taking advantage of the astro community who have nowhere else to get it. That's just my opinion, you may feel differently.

I'm fortunate that I run on a pier so mine get a adjusted once a year, if even.

33 minutes ago, Peje said:

My objection is how much they are charging for something that costs very little to make and didn't take significant investment to design. That part is almost 15% of the price of the entire mount, they are clearly taking advantage of the astro community who have nowhere else to get it. That's just my opinion, you may feel differently.

I'm fortunate that I run on a pier so mine get a adjusted once a year, if even.

The price is not that high compared to a custom solution if you have to execute that solution to a random mechanical shop. There are a lot of DYI instructions on the web if you want to try yourself to solve the altitude bolt problem with the NEQ6 but you will have to take a certain risk. If you don't do anything about it the risk of costs related to it will increase exponentially with time.

1 hour ago, mihaighita said:

The price is not that high compared to a custom solution if you have to execute that solution to a random mechanical shop. There are a lot of DYI instructions on the web if you want to try yourself to solve the altitude bolt problem with the NEQ6 but you will have to take a certain risk. If you don't do anything about it the risk of costs related to it will increase exponentially with time.

Ok, let me qualify my opinion; I am / was a mechanical engineer, designing things like this and getting them manufactured was my day job.

This is a fairly simple part to design, I would guess it would 2, maybe 3 spins, in a 3D printer to get it spot on; for the average mechanical engineer. I reckon most of that trial and error would be the screw angle and a perhaps the fillets around the back neck. I would have done this as a single part, the one in the link looks to be two piece. One spun on a lathe, the other CNC machined; it is late so perhaps I'm wrong about that. I'm just going off the machining marks.

In terms of manufacturing, to get a single part this wouldn't be expensive as a local machine shop would be able to fit this into the scrapage volume of another order. Pick a small, local business and talk to the owner or workshop director; dont pressure them for time or cost and they will be good to you. You will likely get the part for very little money or even just a case of beer / bottle of whiskey. I have done this many times, admittedly not for CNC, mainly waterjet / laser cut sheet metal folded parts.

Perhaps you meant it figuratively but the risks do not risk exponentially, they will rise linearly each time you adjust the mount.

Pete

18 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

I have looked at this before,and to be honest my first thought was "at least Dick Turpin wore a mask", a nice little luxury but one that i will do with out.

Exactly my thoughts.

While writing my last reply I was thinking 'Screw this, I'll design my own and release the 3D CAD onto the forum so anyone can have them made'. Then the reality of how this conversation started struck me, I don't have time to work on my own mount; nevermind design parts.

I'm very sceptical of the need to "upgrade" the grease. Fine to change it if you're stripping it down, but the idea that you need "better" grease in such a low speed, low temperature application doesn't seem to be backed up by any evidence.

If your belt modding then it’ is worth the effort to strip down clean all components, check bearings condition and regrease , skywatcher aren’t known for good QC , my mount was bought second hand (2008 model) few of the bearings were worn new bearings all bar the main dec bearing if memory serves me well , turned into an expensive job but hopefully will serve me well now .

dave rose at Rowan astronomy uses recommends this grease 

https://transair.co.uk/aeroshell/aeroshell-grease/aeroshell-grease-64/aeroshell-grease-64-400gm-cartridge-mil-g-21164d-def-stan-91-57

Archived